Diving with Mantas in August - Where to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That looks like a fun time Dan_T. It seems like you like Indonesia a lot. How many times have you been? What other places have you tried? Is Indonesia your favorite? It definitely looks like you have had some great dives there.

I saw these "big stuff" in Nusa Penida also in August. There is one guy we called "Darth Vader" just because it has black color body all over. What do you think the water visibility then?

View attachment 420593
View attachment 420594

The Oceanic Mola Mola was also huge in comparison to the dinner-plate size Emperor Anglefish that were busy cleaning it.

View attachment 420595

That looks like a fun time Dan_T. It seems like you like Indonesia a lot. How many times have you been? What other places have you tried? Is Indonesia your favorite? It definitely looks like you have had some great dives there.

Yes. I like diving in Indonesia, better than Caribbean for sure. I started diving in Caribbean (Cayman Brac, Bonaire, Utila, Tobago, Mexico). After a couple of years, logging 100 dives, I started to get bored of looking at the same dull corals & fish there & began to venture further away to Zanzibar, Pemba, Galápagos, Great Barrier Reef & Indonesia. After seeing all those pretty colorful soft corals & fish in Indonesia, I was hooked & kept coming back there year after year for the last 10 years.

I now want to see more of the big fish (mantas, sharks, GWS, whaleshark, dolphins, whales, etc.) so I start looking into those places that are known for the big fish. I have booked to liveaboard diving in Palau this December, Cocos in September 2018, Maldives & Socorro in December 2018. Sardine Run in South Africa is in my bucket list for June 2019, but it is too far away to plan for it at this moment.

That makes sense. I am almost at 100 dives after diving for 11 years. I just couldn't dive more than about once or twice a year at most for short periods of time. However, after some events last year and this year reminded me of how precious life was and how short our time is in this life, I decided to step it up a bit. I have been diving mainly the Caribbean except for my first salt water dive in the Similan Islands, Phuket. That is where I saw a Manta Ray. I only saw one, and it was 11 years ago. So, I'm trying to venture out with the hopes of seeing one again, and to get out of seeing the same stuff I have been seeing the last 11 years in the Caribbean. So, I can relate to what you said about getting bored of seeing the same things.

I have this time window in August this year that I all of the sudden find out I could do. I first considered the Great Barrier Reef but since it's winter there, it wouldn't be ideal diving. And, I have heard the diving there isn't that great these days. So, then I started exploring. The Maldives was mentioned, but then I discovered that the wind and waves can be bad this time of year and the diving might not be the greatest in August, being the wet season.

I'm debating Kona, which would give me pretty much guaranteed Manta diving in relatively easy diving conditions (from what I understand, you just go to the bottom and sit and wait), or Indonesia which would give the the Manta plus all the different other things that are unique there (soft corals, Mola, etc). The only thing with Indonesia is that the flights are pricey because I'm booking last minute (unless I want a 66 hour flight), and I'm about 35 pounds overweight and haven't touched any cardio in ages so I may not be in the best shape right now to be fighting waves or current. I'm going to chat with a dive shop in Kona today about it, but as I understand it, the diving is relatively calm and easy there for most dive sites.

The problem is, I don't often get the chance to take two weeks off, or more. So, I could probably do Kona in the future since it's a short flight. But, I doubt I'll get a chance to do a long trip to Indonesia again for a while so I'm thinking of biting the bullet and paying the higher flight cost to get out there so I can take advantage of this time window I have.

Yes. I like diving in Indonesia, better than Caribbean for sure. I started diving in Caribbean (Cayman Brac, Bonaire, Utila, Tobago, Mexico). After a couple of years, logging 100 dives, I started to get bored of looking at the same dull corals & fish there & began to venture further away to Zanzibar, Pemba, Galápagos, Great Barrier Reef & Indonesia. After seeing all those pretty colorful soft corals & fish in Indonesia, I was hooked & kept coming back there year after year for the last 10 years.

I now want to see more of the big fish (mantas, sharks, GWS, whaleshark, dolphins, whales, etc.) so I start looking into those places that are known for the big fish. I have booked to liveaboard diving in Palau this December, Cocos in September 2018, Maldives & Socorro in December 2018. Sardine Run in South Africa is in my bucket list for June 2019, but it is too far away to plan for it at this moment.

Reactions: Dan
There's a lot of good info here about seeing mantas, but one point has been not been mentioned.

Its a whole different experience depending on who else is there watching them. In Socorro, Maldives & Komodo theres a very good chance that it will just be you & your buddies from the lob. From what I've read about the Kona manta dives, there'll be a whole bunch of other people there as well. Which I dont think I'd enjoy.

Seeing mantas in an empty ocean is an amazing experience. Socorro is my favourite. In the Maldives, I've had some great manta dives - but I've also spent a lot of hours kneeling on the sand by a cleaning station when nothing has turned up. Komodo - I've had similar experiences as described by other posters.

Last year in Komodo (in the south) I lost count at 25 mantas swimming all around us and still more coming in from the blue. @mantajohn makes a great point about Kona and lots of people. I personally cannot stand the manta cleaning station set-up where they make divers sit behind a line in the sand.. It get so bored with that scenario (Manta Sandy in R4 and German Channel in Palau) and avoid it at all costs. Would much rather see them in a natural setting. That being said, if you are there to see Mantas then who cares. Socorro is the best Manta experience but not available in August (Nov-May). Misool Raja Ampat, South Komodo, Lembongan (Nusa Penida), Maldives, and Palau are all places you are pretty much guaranteed to see Mantas. Palau might really be a great consideration for you... sharks, mantas and other cool big stuff. @tholden1 Are you talking this August? If so you might be able to find a great last minute deal on a liveaboard if they have a cancellation.

I was in Manta Sandy last May. We didn't see any so we moved to Manta Ridge & saw 2-3 of them. One of them hovered so low to the ground I had to duck down & had my hand accidentally touch hydroid & got stung by it since they don't let diver to wear gloves.

You need to go with local dive guide who knows the area & right time to see them. Check out my trip report here: Pulau Pef - Little Raja Ampat Trip Report

Yep, in a week or so. I just need to find a flight. It's between Delta, Malaysia Airlines, and Singapore Airlines. All coach/economy class to save money. I'm leaning towards Singapore Airlines because it seems they might have better service and a bit more legroom since I'm 6'2". But, Delta has the shortest flight for a few hundred more.

And, I see the point mantajohn made and you said also. Crowded in with a bunch of people isn't really how I want to see things either.

Last year in Komodo (in the south) I lost count at 25 mantas swimming all around us and still more coming in from the blue. @mantajohn makes a great point about Kona and lots of people. I personally cannot stand the manta cleaning station set-up where they make divers sit behind a line in the sand.. It get so bored with that scenario (Manta Sandy in R4 and German Channel in Palau) and avoid it at all costs. Would much rather see them in a natural setting. That being said, if you are there to see Mantas then who cares. Socorro is the best Manta experience but not available in August (Nov-May). Misool Raja Ampat, South Komodo, Lembongan (Nusa Penida), Maldives, and Palau are all places you are pretty much guaranteed to see Mantas. Palau might really be a great consideration for you... sharks, mantas and other cool big stuff. @tholden1 Are you talking this August? If so you might be able to find a great last minute deal on a liveaboard if they have a cancellation.

Here are some of Manta Sandy / Ridge mantas:

IMG_5895.JPG

IMG_5896.JPG

IMG_5897.JPG

IMG_5898.JPG

Yep, in a week or so. I just need to find a flight. It's between Delta, Malaysia Airlines, and Singapore Airlines. All coach/economy class to save money. I'm leaning towards Singapore Airlines because it seems they might have better service and a bit more legroom since I'm 6'2". But, Delta has the shortest flight for a few hundred more.

And, I see the point mantajohn made and you said also. Crowded in with a bunch of people isn't really how I want to see things either.

I booked my upcoming November flight about 7 months ago (around January) for a roundtrip Houston-Denpasar via Manchester with Singapore Airlines for $680. I think Eva Air can also be as good service as Singapore Airlines. Check it out.

I saw these "big stuff" in Nusa Penida also in August. There is one guy we called "Darth Vader" just because it has black color body all over. What do you think the water visibility then?

View attachment 420593
View attachment 420594

The Oceanic Mola Mola was also huge in comparison to the dinner-plate size Emperor Anglefish that were busy cleaning it.

View attachment 420595

I did Indo in February and had a blast. The diversity was incredible! ...But after 3 weeks there, we got skunked for mantas.

Back
Top Bottom