Diving with melia and pro dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catskill diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Going to Coz in November and going to stay at MVC at Melia resort ( close to the airport - I'm told ) - I believe their resort op is pro dive. Anyone with any experience with them - good or bad ? do their boats leave from the harbor or closer to home ? Comments appreciated as they have not responded to email - thx

Man if they leave from around the Melia, that would be an epicly long ride.....

Never have used ProDive but have left from Puerto Abrigo with Albatros Charters north of town and did not find the boat ride to be anything but enjoyable. Melia is a bit further north than Puerto Abrigo. I don't think any to at least many dive ops will pick you up at the hotel pier except the onsite op. FWIW, staying north gives you a great chance to dive the northern sites like San Juan, Canterel and Barracuda that are spectacular!

I thought Pro Dive was based down south at the Allegro. I dove with them once out of the Allegro. They were OK but they chose the dive sites and did not travel very far.

I thought Pro Dive was based down south at the Allegro. I dove with them once out of the Allegro. They were OK but they chose the dive sites and did not travel very far.

Never went diving with them but talked to them when they were right beside Playa Azul on the north side of town. They had a nice setup next to Playa Azul and picked up at the Playa Azul pier.

At that time they have several dive operations including Puerto Aventuras, PDC (I think), Playa Azul and down south at one of the big hotels. You could either take the long boat ride to the southern dive sites or take a taxi to their southern location and be just a few minutes from the dive sites but it involved a pretty expensive taxi ride, so if you were doing that every day it would get very expensive.

I also heard and remember some threads here that there was some disagreement at the southern end concerning the hotel pier use and that some op's were being charged a $3.00 or $5.00 per day fee per diver to load on the boats. I thought that Dive Pro was involved with that but it has been a while so I could be wrong or it could have been that they had the pier and others were trying to load up there. I believe it had nothing to do with the dive ops but with the sale or consolidation of a couple of souther hotels.

I remember a thread here that mentioned they closed their north location next to Playa Azul but maybe they just moved to a different or better northern location for their base of operations.

Their reviews used to always be pretty good and from talking with people that own condos in Puerto Aventuras they get excellent reviews over there. In the end I chose to not do the longer boat ride so used a different op.

Please check my facts because things sometimes change rapidly on the island and I could be off on the facts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom