Diving with Pilot Whales.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isurus oxyrinchus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Has anyone here seen pilot whales during a dive? Do you have any photos or videos? I know there are the common sense points, for instance keeping a respectable distance, but is there anything else to know from a safety standpoint about this type of whale?

Yes. At Richeleiu rock in Thailand had a pod of 9 show up - awesome :) they were absolutely non threatening and came in for a look approx 5m away then backed off. Hung around for about 25 minutes.

I have seen them offshore while fishing but have not heard from local divers of any sightings.

Almost 40 years ago I was body surfing on the NJ shore when I spotted what I thought was a pod of dolphin coming up the coast 100+ meters out. I swam out and was in the middle of them when I realized these things were way bigger than dolphin. They just swam on by and payed no attention to me, much to my relief.

Back
Top Bottom