Diving With Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my experience, You dont have to get alot of dives to see a diversity of large animals, but I echo what many are saying. While you may encounter sharks, rays, etc. with a small dive log list, the confidence you get with more dives is envaluable to you as to how you react to said animals. More dives does not necessarily make you a better diver, but for my $.02...more dives = more confidence; which in turn makes one a better diver.

Forgive me if I'm reading between the lines incorrectly. But I sense some apprehension in your original question about large animal encounters. Even if that's not the case, the following still applies. Go do what you think will make your dive the best experience. And when it comes to big animals, even the biggest baddest predators out there are generally not interested in bothering you. On otherwise benign dives I've had sharks come within touching distance and it was a great experience.

Here's something to put it in perspective. While at an aquarium I was watching a tank full of sharks swimming around. Also in the tank were a bunch of large tuna. I asked one of the tenders about it and he said that sharks will rarely eat anything they can't swallow in one bite (unless it's already dead and bleeding profusely.)

In short, you just don't look like food to very many things that swim in the ocean. And as long as you don't antagonize or otherwise make yourself appear foodlike, you are going to really enjoy those rare encounters with the big stuff.

I'm with you, I prefer to be a passive observer when diving. You should try diving out of Morehead,NC. There are always sharks, mostly sand tigers. The boat captains are really good about sharing info so that divers know what to expect. In my limited experience, the Spar is the most consistent, although I think there are some wrecks way offshore that have plenty too.

Weird that I like sharks so much. I'm a girl. Not sure what that means. What I can say, unequivocally, is that I am a hell of a lot more afraid of the ones here on land!

They are awesome and awe inspiring creatures. It is a different feeling knowing you're not necessarily at the top of the food chain - granted you're not really food to them but you know what I mean.

My hangup on the feeds is the entire familiarity thing, but I'm no expert.

At first seeing them I was nervous, but ya realize they really don't care about you. That said, I think if I saw an 8ft tiger circling while on a night-dive my suit might warm up just a little bit :)

Jon

They are awesome and awe inspiring creatures. It is a different feeling knowing you're not necessarily at the top of the food chain - granted you're not really food to them but you know what I mean.

My hangup on the feeds is the entire familiarity thing, but I'm no expert.

At first seeing them I was nervous, but ya realize they really don't care about you. That said, I think if I saw an 8ft tiger circling while on a night-dive my suit might warm up just a little bit :)

Jon

Unless I am stupid or allow them to be in an advantageous position, sharks are below me on the food chain. As are almost any creatures in this world including lions, tigers, bears, and annoying children.

The ones that scare me are the ones I can't see without a microscope.

Shark dives are very unforgettable! I can never forget the first time I saw my first shark in Key Largo. I do however agree with the folks who are recommending that you get more experience because I was diving with a friend who was on his first dive. He was as excited about the shark but was unable to pursue it and take pictures. He was still figuring out where his BCD hose was and how to get buoyance right when that whole moment was over.

Agree on Roatan's Cara a Cara dive--16 grey reefs came in on us & then all hell broke loose when he popped the lid on the 5 gallon bucket of dead fish......ALSO, go on the Fling(Flower Gardens trip), you'll always see some plus get a chance @ a whale shark or THIRTY(30)--see videos linked below....

Fling Charters

Seen a Hammerhead at Neptune's Finger, Cabo. Very thrilling!

Was on the lookout for a whale shark or great white when there but no such luck.

I have personally swam with reef sharks and an occasional bull shark. I think todate the nurse shark I saw in Molokini would be my favorite of the species!

Although people are in most cases frightened to death of sharks I really feel divers are for the most part safe around them. *Disclaimer* sharks are wild animals though and their will be the occasional renegade shark so I think its very important while we marvel at them that we remember to keep our distance :)

Here is something for the OP to mull over.

Ever other Tuesday I volunteer at the National Aquarium. When feeding in the Wings In the Water exhibit, we regularly get molested by Zeo, our Zebra Shark. Lately our little Blacknose has been getting a bit aggressive as well. The Bonnet Heads don't ever really come close to us.

The OP is near the Shed Aquarium and they have volunteer divers!

I don't know what fish they have in their display, but they've probably got a Nurse Shark in there.

Shedd Aquarium - Chicago | About Shedd | Volunteer Listings

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom