Diving With Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While doing my DMC OW class one of the new grads asked me about shark diving. I know I'm a wimp, but I told him good luck. My hat's off to all you folks, but I want to see them on the Discovery Channel. I know all the stuff about us not being on their food menu. Still, hope I never run into one.

The wrecks off of NC have some of the larger marine life you are seeking. Some has already mentioned the Hyde. There is also the Hutton (Papoose) and the Dixie Arrow.

These wrecks tend to be loaded with the Sand Tiger, the occasional bull and great white sharks.

The catch is they tend to be deep. I'd say an average of 100fsw. They are a couple to few hour boat ride off shore. 4 foot seas is considered a good day.

I short most operators recommend AOW. Whatever they recommend, just make sure you're comfortable with deep dives.

I like big fish too (See my Avatar), but I agree with others to get a few dives under your belt before you go shark hunting.
Now when you are ready, check out the Bahamas. They have a lot of places where you can go on a shark dive, although baiting and feeding sharks is somewhat controversial.

Or you can go to Roatan. Here is some video I took on my last trip there:

What if the animals would prefer not to dive with you?
N

Sharks are amazing and in the short period of time I've been diving with them, I've loved it.

My only tip would be to master basic scuba skills first, so get your technique down pat.

buoyancy control
no hands
proper weighting

Once you're very comfortable with these (and for me it took about 70 dives) then I think you'll be fine for diving with sharks. Main thing is avoid looking like prey :)

J

i did a cage dive in the bahamas in 2008. due to an incoming storm alot of the sharks headed for deeper water and we ended up only seeing 2 lemons, a nurse shark and a reef shark. still, seeing those 4 sharks was absolutely amazing. they really are one of the most amazing creatures on earth and i cant wait to see more.

from what ive read/heard of the coast of NC sand tigers hang out at alot of the wrecks and most sites your almost guaranteed to seem these awesome creatures. im trying to plan a trip there this summer once i get a job and some steady income.

Attachments

• 003_3A.JPG
    003_3A.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 013_14A.JPG
    013_14A.JPG
    270.5 KB · Views: 30
I say go for it! You only live once! One day, hopefully soon, I am definitely going to dive with sharks.

I like big fish too (See my Avatar), but I agree with others to get a few dives under your belt before you go shark hunting.
Now when you are ready, check out the Bahamas. They have a lot of places where you can go on a shark dive, although baiting and feeding sharks is somewhat controversial.

Or you can go to Roatan. Here is some video I took on my last trip there:

Amazing video! :)

the thing about "guaranteed" encounters with big animals like sharks, is that the diving can be advanced. places like galapagos, cocos, and socorro will have sharks mantas, whale sharks, etc but the diving is deep and can have lots of current.

i just got back from a trip to the bahamas to dive with tiger sharks. to do these types of dives you need to be confident in your skills, because you do not need to be worrying about buoyancy control when there's 5 tiger sharks and about 20 lemon sharks in the water. please see this video to get an idea...

Tiger Beach 2010 on Vimeo

enjoy! you may have a level of confidence necessary for this after a few dives. maybe many more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom