Diving with the Bull sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverken374

Contributor
Reaction score
2.5 hrs north of Toronto, Ont., Canada/Cozumel
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A few of us travelled to Playa on Friday to dive with the Bull sharks. A very impressive dive with some awsome creatures. One of many seen on our dive.

Attachments

• Bull Shark  001.jpg
    Bull Shark 001.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 13,515
were they feeding or chumming? what are the details of how you are positioned and setup?

were they feeding or chumming? what are the details of how you are positioned and setup?

We dove just south of the ferry docks. Descent to 90' to a sand bottom shelf. The sharks come from the deep drop off. I would not dive with any dive op that would feed or chum for sharks. The sharks are territorial and curious enough to check you out. We stayed in a group and the sharks circled around us!

I did the same thing last April and plan on doing it again this March when in Coz. I discourage anyone from going with an op that chums. It's not needed.

I dove with Mayan Aqua Dive, but the DM's have since started a new company, Scorpio Divers, and that's who I will use in March. I know that Geofish in Playa also does non chumming shark dives and they have a good reputation as well. Last year, MAD offered two shark dives for the same price that other shops charged for one. Ask for Ben or Jorge with Scorpio Divers, both great guys. Scorpio Divers // Scuba Diving // Diving the way it should be.

How long are the Bull Sharks around, I thought I remember that they are seasonal?

NICE! It would be great if some "real" sharks made there way accross the channel to Coz more often...

Thanks to all who DO NOT SUPPORT the chumming of the sharks in Playa. So close to the beach - an accident waiting to happen.

Thanks to all who DO NOT SUPPORT the chumming of the sharks in Playa. So close to the beach - an accident waiting to happen.

Completely agree, especially with such an aggressive species of shark. The shark will be vilified when the inevitable happens. That being said I would love to dive with an op in Playa that sees them too without chumming.

Back
Top Bottom