Diving without a buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterbj7

Dive Shop Owner
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I wonder how many experienced divers choose not to have a buddy when doing recreational dives. I don't think I've had a buddy for 7 or 8 years. When I do have someone with me I'm usually instructing the other. A buddy gives me nothing like a warm & fuzzy feeling, and I feel happier without the responsibility.

I do sometimes dive buddyless but generally I cap it at 35 feet with a shore spotter. I Keep an inflateable sausage with me in case I get hung up so I can deploy it and then wait. I have never had to use this but I do practice the concept occasionaly.

I honestly think it depends on who you ask as some will call it Taboo and others call it the only way to dive. They do offer a solo diver cert but to me its just as easy to read the book and practice as it is to pay for a card.

I suggest you take a look at the solo diver subforum in the technical diving specialties forum. That should give you an idea. Also, I don't really have anyone to dive with in the area I live in, so buddyless diving is kinda the norm.

I solo dive when I can't find a buddy. I don't really have any rules as to when I would require a buddy. Maybe something 170'+ or deep penetration into a cave. I generally figure that if 4 tanks and regulators fail underwater, then God wanted me dead. I'm not going to talk him out of it, change his mind or come up with anything he doesn't already have. My times is up, time to go home.

My regular dive buddy (my wife) is pregnant and can't dive. So, I've gone out a couple times and met an instabuddy. I spent more time getting their gear together and making sure they weren't going to get themselves in trouble than enjoying the dive. I've already got a pony bottle so that I can be more self-reliant, but I have to say I am tempted to dump the buddy all together until I can find a better buddy. I'm thinking about looking into solo diving training.

I find solo diving incredibly relaxing. No responsibility, no looking around, can do what i want for as long as i want - brilliant with a camera.

Also comes in handy this weekend for example 3 of us want to go diving off the boat so the only possible way to do any diving is a pair of 2 and 1 left over so they dive and i cox the boat then i dive and they cox the boat.

The only diving I have done by myself is setting the float for my husband's classes, or picking it up. I have enjoyed that time by myself. But I have a whole bunch of really good dive buddies -- people with mad skills and great eyes, who find stuff I miss. And one of the great joys of the dive is turning to my buddy and seeing the same grin in his eyes that I know is in mine.

About 50/50. And about 20 percent of those that are my buddy, I take to the anchor.. and wave goodby and then do the rest of the dive.

However, diving with my regular buddy is neat. He sees things I don't... I know were he is... he knows where I am, and we dive the same profiles.

Over the years, I've dove with some pretty strange insta-buddies. About half of which were far more dangerous to dive with than going solo.

My first choice would always be to dive with a good buddy... my second is to solo...

Last edited:
The only diving I have done by myself is setting the float for my husband's classes, or picking it up. I have enjoyed that time by myself. But I have a whole bunch of really good dive buddies -- people with mad skills and great eyes, who find stuff I miss. And one of the great joys of the dive is turning to my buddy and seeing the same grin in his eyes that I know is in mine.

That sums up my feelings exactly. When I spot something of great interest I immediately look to gain the attention of my dive partners nearby in order to share in the experience. Accomplishing a lot of hunting I am in effect a solo diver a portion of dives but I prefer to be around people hence my gradual gravitation to the DIR style of diving...

I DO get a warm and fuzzy feeling sharing a dive with good friends and competent dive partners :). I agree, it’s much more fun to share experiences with friends -- this idea is not just limited to diving!

The only soloing I’ve done in the past was down to 20ft. I can certainly see the appeal, but I’ve also been around when things went really wrong underwater and partners were very valuable.

So, it makes me much happier to be down there with trusted partners, good friends, and some extra equipment :).

Back
Top Bottom