Diving without a mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

derwoodwithasherwood

Contributor
Reaction score
I have noticed a few comments here and there about a mask being necessary for U/W vision -- things like "a diver without a mask is essentially blind" etc.

Am I the only one who can see fine underwater without a mask? I always thought the purpose of the mask was just to keep the floaty bits and cold out of your eyes. And maybe provide a convenient place to hang a snorkle. Do some of you find they are necessary for vision? I have never dove in salt water -- does that make a difference?

Just curious.

derwoodwithasherwood:
I have noticed a few comments here and there about a mask being necessary for U/W vision -- things like "a diver without a mask is essentially blind" etc.

Am I the only one who can see fine underwater without a mask? I always thought the purpose of the mask was just to keep the floaty bits and cold out of your eyes. And maybe provide a convenient place to hang a snorkle. Do some of you find they are necessary for vision? I have never dove in salt water -- does that make a difference?

Just curious.

I suspect "fine" is a relative term. I would try going with the mask!! And salt water.... most definitely!

Well, technicly, saline, or salt water is Better for the eyes then pool water- chlorine and harsh chemicals.
It is possible to see some underwater, but never enought to for example, read guages.

derwoodwithasherwood:

Just curious.
The human eye is designed for seeing in air not water. In the water it still works but at a reduced quality which is normally very blurry. You need to define "fine".

Unless one or both of your parents are fish or some type of marine life "fine'" is pushing it.

Orrrrrrrrrrr, what’s you smokin boy? :D

Gary D.

Do you mean you can see 150-180 feet below when you put your face in the water at the surface and spot a stingray or parrot fish next to the coral like I did at Cozumel. Holy smoke.

derwoodwithasherwood:

Just curious.
Ok,

I get to call it first. He's trolling....must be bored.

By "fine" I mean I can read gauges, etc. with or without a mask. I have never noticed any real difference without a mask, but candor forces me to admit I've never been anywhere with 150 feet of visibility either. 20' is probably the best I've ever been in. Is it distance, near or both that gets blurry?

And no, I'm not trolling. I was taught to swim with my eyes open as a kid and spent many summers swimming around (I guess it would be called "freediving" but I didn't know it then) exploring the bottom, looking for lost stuff, marine life, etc. The only masks we ever had where cheap kid's toys that were broken within an afternoon. I never used a mask seriously until I started with SCUBA and I thought it was just a comfort thing. I honestly find the comments about blurry vision underwater to be a surprise.

I dive without any regs, I just inhale my buddies bubbles...no mask, eh.

The salt water makes a difference, I can't even read my computor without my mask.........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom