Diving Without BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember seeing my first diver with a BC (horse collar FENZY) and thought what a good idea they were. Of course, all my peers said they were dangerous.

I started diving in the late '60s-early '70s. We had no BCDs, but we did all wear a horse collar/Mae West vest in case we needed it on the surface after a dive. I don't remember using mine, but I wore it.
One thing you might consider is going to a steel tank. Our old 72 cu ft steel tanks didn't have a swing in buoyancy from full to empty.
FWIW, after years of diving like that I took a long time away from diving. When I got back into it I started using a BCD like everyone else. I like using my BCD. It really helps control buoyancy with these new-fangled AL80s.
I would suggest you find a small lightweight BCD. They were made for a reason.

They didn't have BCDs when I learned to dive and I've survived. Backpack and horse collar with a CO2 cartridge to inflate on the surface if needed (mine corroded). Lots of people must have dived that way and lived to tell about it. But, I'd practice a lot first and I certainly wouldn't dive solo.

They didn't have BCDs when I learned to dive and I've survived. Backpack and horse collar with a CO2 cartridge to inflate on the surface if needed (mine corroded). Lots of people must have dived that way and lived to tell about it. But, I'd practice a lot first and I certainly wouldn't dive solo.

+1
That's the way I did it as a kid. I don't remember any problems with buoyancy. Father taught me, he taught himself, no cert card needed for an air fill.

at last I`d translated and published my Minimal harness way :)
please read Minimal diving harness
there is minimal diving equipment, that everybody can made.
Also most simple compensator.

one my friend once used this way:
prankish-jpg.454474.jpg

We need a “minimalism” section for divers wishing to learn to dive with no BC using all modern gear.
They always want to lump us into the vintage section even though there is a BRAND NEW movement towards minimalist diving that is different from vintage diving in many ways.

To the OP, minimalist diving with no BC requires an entirely different approach than the typical way diving is done these days. They don’t teach this anymore. Everything nowdays revolves around the BC including safety protocols, the kick styles, and attitude (trim) in the water.
My advice is to first become very proficient at skin diving (freediving) first if you aren’t already, then you can move into minimalist diving. They are very much inter-related.
There’s a different gear protocol and different safety protocols from regular scuba.
No BC minimalism is something you grow into slowly in steps once you have an advanced comfort level. New divers shouldn’t just decide one day to jump in with no BC without thoroughly understanding what they’re getting into, and how to properly and safely do it.
Find a mentor to show you.

Back
Top Bottom