Dixie Divers Memorial Day Weekend Trip to Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

philmottrek99and02

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok the title says it all, well most of it. We will be in the Key Largo area. Looks like it will be a lot of fun. Plan on arriving sometime Friday and leaving Monday or later if you wish. Most places will require a 3 night min. Denisegg has a 2 bedroom condo at Ocean Pointe and it is full. When I get a chance (like this week), I'll book a 2 bedroom condo in the same location. Chances are that it is almost full. If UTdiver and Dawg are going, then the queen size sofa will be the only thing available to sleep on. No, I am not opening up my floor space for crashing.

Details on which dive ops we will be using should be posted to this thread. We do plan on doing a dinner one night (whichever night we don't do the night dive on). Other than that follow the house rules; you put it in the frigerator and you consume it. Toilet seat down if ladies are present.

So who is coming and WHAT do you want to dive?

Here is the dive schedule.

Proposed Dive Plans:
Saturday Morning:
Ocean Divers
Snapper Ledge and Aquarium (all divers)

Saturday Afternoon:
Cristal Charters
Shallow Reefs (to be determined) (all divers)

Sunday Morning:
Ocean Divers
Spiegel Grove and Captain's Choice(usually Benwood) /or Eagle Ray Alley and Sand Island

Sunday Afternoon:
Ocean Divers
Duane and Molasses Reef /or Snapper Ledge and Pickles Reef

Howard :D

Im still in (almost definately). I want to see the wrecks. Wrecks, wrecks and more wrecks. Ive seen coral, I like the ships better. So that is my vote. I have been on the Grove once, and would seriously spend days going around it alone if I could find a way to do it easily. Im also willing to take the sofa if someone would be willing to put more into the bed. The more people in the condo the happier I will be.

I'm in too. I'm also wanting to do wrecks... but i need to get my AOW done before then. I hear that many ops down there won't let you dive the spiegel unless you have AOW. Personally I think experience is better than any class, but if they want a piece of paper... guess there's not much i can do about it. I'll probably want to do reefs too though, i hear the christ of the deep statue is really cool.

I wouldnt worry too much about the AOW if you have good experiance. I didnt complete my AOW until a while after I was down there, but they let me go. It probably helped that I walked up with a mentality of the Grove being my goal, talking about cave diving with him, and had my bp/w with me. He kinda glanced through my log, but didnt look too interested in it. Later on told us we was worried alot more about the third guy that was on the boat with me and my buddy... the guy with a logbook full of cards, but no clue how to set up his gear. I think the operations down there are pretty good about judging you by what you can do.

As previously quoted from Cristal Clear Charters (this is not the original post..this is just a copy..you will need to go to the original post and print it out to receive your free dive)
Cristal Clear Charters will not be going anywhere, we will be in service for a long time to come, and we feel we have the nicest boats, best equipment, great locations and undeniably the best staff in the keys. To illustrate this we are offering a FREE DIVE TRIP to any scubaboard member that brings in this posting along with a copy of their Scubaboard profile page for verification. This is going to be valid from now until March 1, 2007 and from May 1st to June 1st, 2007. This offer is good for one dive trip per person per print out per scubaboard id. I encourage you to pass this to all your friends. All I ask is that in return the member posts their experience to the board since I am sure it will be positive.

Frank has talked to them and they are willing to do the one free boat dive during our stay. Their conditions for group diving are all plans be made in advance and paid for. So you will need to know specifically what dives you want to do(they let you pick) and what times during the weekend and then be willing to send your money to the coordinator (Howard) through paypal. We will have to set a deadline for this, probably 4 to 6 weeks before the trip.

Again, right now, you need to decide on lodging before everything gets booked up. We still have a little while longer to decide what dives to do.

Frank0, since you have been so kind to volunteer your services as contact man for Cristal Clear Charters to help out our busy coordinator (Howard), could you ask them their specific rule on AOW and the deep wrecks? (I have been diving with 3 different charters in the keys and ALL of them made you SHOW your AOW card for the deep wrecks). Also, if you could get a list of their dive sites so that everyone can post where they would like to dive....I would so appreciate it.

Denise pees standing up so it doesn't bother her... ARRRR!

I'll go ahead and tell you this, if Howards room is full, and he isn't willing to 'open his floorspace' - I'm not going to fit the bill for a 3rd room to have just 2 people in it.. that would be retarded. So, if we don't get more divers, and no1 is willing to give up the floor space that they will obviously not be using while they are... SLEEPING, then I won't go.

PM me if you need a room.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom