DIY Backplate materials

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about using a piece of clear polycarbonate or acrylic? They are both very strong materials and comparatively easy to work with. Just heat over a form and trim.

Yep you could make a wood plug and Vac form them with a home made plantum.
you can also make a plug, Wax it and make a fiber glass or carbon fiber back plate.

Just want to point out another option is to pick up one used. Given SS backplates can be had for something like 80-110 new I imagine you can probably find one used in the $60-70 range with some looking.

Not to discourage people from being creative (if you have the tools and means.. go ahead!) but a used one will probably be cheaper/better. SS basically lasts forever anyway.

I used to build BP's for free B4 I became disabled U C I am a master Welder/Fitter and worked in a boiler shop.
I also used to make all kinds of cool stuff out of metals.
I designed the first Junior Dragster, I actually used to be the owner of a Racing Chassis shop also...i sure miss being able to build my own gear.:depressed:

Back
Top Bottom