DIY Canister Light cord length and mounting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Padiwan

Registered
Reaction score
I am building my first canister light following Padipro's instructions, with a little modifications on the lid (acrylic was too hard to work with). I am done with the light except for the cord length and mounting. I have a couple questions for everyone who has built a light.

1. How long did you make the cord?

2. Where and how did you mount your light?

3. How did you route the cord once you had it mounted?

Thanks,
Chris

Hay Chris,

The light looks like is coming along great. You'll have to post a few pictures on the MSN site when you get it finished, you're the first one I've seen use a "D" cell Mag-Lite.

Canister lights are supposed to be carried on the right hip, if you subscribe to the DIR way of thinking. They are slid over the waist strap and a weight belt buckle is used to keep it from sliding back around to the front. That's where I carry mine and it's very comfortable and easy to reach. Regardless of where you deside to mount your light just be sure you can easiely ditch it if there is an emergency, never hard mount anything to your rig.

I measured the length of the light cord and it's about 3.5 feet in length. It works for me but that's just the way it turned out and is not based on measurement from a name brand light.

I just rought the cord under my arm to my right hand, I'm right handed so it works for me. I use a Goodman handle on my light head so it's all hands free, I don't actually have to hang on to the light. If I need to remove it from my hand for some reason I either drape the cord around the back of my neck or clip it off to a D ring on my harness.

Scott,

I used the D cell because thats all they had at the PX here on Okinawa. I was thinking of using the clips that Mag-lite has for the D cells to make the goodman handle. Thanks for the input on the cord and mounting, it has shed some light on what direction I want to go. I'm waiting for the latches from MSC Direct and it'll all come together. Should be here this week. BTW did you have any problems with the Mag-lite leaking around the bottom where there is only one o-ring?

Chris

I had a slight leak but nothing really bad. At first I used some thread tape and it worked great. To eliminate the problem all together I just used the JB Weld and glued the end on permenently. Problem solved. LOL

BTW, which base are you stationed at? I was at Kadena in the mid 80's, it's where I was certified.

Padipro:
BTW, which base are you stationed at? I was at Kadena in the mid 80's, it's where I was certified.

My wife is stationed at Foster. I work as a divemaster with an instructor out of Torii station. This is THE place to get certified, that's for sure. We have more students than we can handle.

If I remember right there wasn't much else to do there and the diving was great. I'd love to dive there again someday.

I tried the thread tape and it fixed the leak, I'll refrain from JB welding the end until the project is done.

I'm also tentative of jb welding that on incase I ever want to change fittings, or cable used.

Padipro:
I had a slight leak but nothing really bad. At first I used some thread tape and it worked great. To eliminate the problem all together I just used the JB Weld and glued the end on permenently. Problem solved. LOL

Hey, I was at Kadena in 93. Great place, wish I could have stayed longer than 4 months, but, Mr Clinton....

Anyway, what do I have to do to talk you out of a copy of those light plans? Sounds like a fun project.

Brian

brianwl:
Anyway, what do I have to do to talk you out of a copy of those light plans? Sounds like a fun project.

Brian

It was a long running thread in DIY. You can have a look at that part of the forum (DIY), or just run a search for DIY canister light.

JAG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom