DIY Dry Gloves 1,2,3,

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moneysavr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Just did a replacement set of dry gloves and thought I would post,I will make one more pair for a pal.
Get seal from e-bay less than $15.00 per pair for nice seals-Zeroviz53 @ E-Bay,
can of Glue =clear, Gloves from farmhardware.com = Atlas PVC glove's the cheapest I have found / also at Amazon.com

1. trim glove down about 1" off wrist ,slide glove and seal, I soap seal a bit.
on soda bottle 2 littre, roll back seal about 1" and clean and glue per glue can label.
2. let dry so its not tacky roll seal onto glove and tape with a wrap or two of masking tape to add pressure.
3.let dry overnight and if you like you can mix a bit of aqua seal and lay a bead around outside edge but you dont need to if glued right.
cotton linner is cheap from like k-mart
about $17-$18 for dry gloves and they work nice and hold up GREAT!

How hard are they to get on and off? I've been looking at the commercial gloves with seals, but have heard they're a real pain to use.

The best solution that I've found and it's not quite DIY but almost has a ring permanently attached to your sleeve. For gloves you just get $!5 commercial latex gloves (I get them at Commercial Divers in Ballard).

To attach them you simply pull them over the ring just before you dive. They work simply because you are stretching them over the ring. Both Bare and DUI offer the ring including the labor to attach it for about $60 I think.

It has another advantage in that your latex wrist seals aren't glued on. There is an interior ring that holds them on so if you tear one you can replace it yourself for about $30 rather than $100 or so for a zip seal.

TSandM:
How hard are they to get on and off? I've been looking at the commercial gloves with seals, but have heard they're a real pain to use.
There are a couple of guys at work that use this style. They can get the first glove on OK, but someone needs to help them with the second glove, since they find it nearly impossible to do with the other glove already on.

As for getting them off - same story except they need help getting the first one off, then they can do the second one themselves :wink:

TSandM:

I give the seals a squirt of dish soap prior to set up,first one is easy,second one takes a bit of time to pull seal back but can be done after you do it a few times.
I slide my tube style wrist seals on my dysuit back and then pull them over glove seal and never a leak.
Brad

I made a pair following your instructions, Brad, and they work great!

I ended up using a large can of canned pumpkin to stretch the latex seal over as I was having a tough time stretching my cone seal over a liter soda bottle.

I am using the gloves to freedive in Alaska. By having dry gloves I'll be able to insert hand warmers into them when the temp drops this winter and hopefully, that will keep me out of my dry suit all together.

Anybody have any ideas how to make dry socks?

Get some waterproof socks. They sell them at most camping stores. Glue some seals on just like you did with the gloves. Should work.

It's starting to get cold here in New England. Would you please re-post your article on DIY Drygloves?
Thanks,
Jim

Back
Top Bottom