DIY GoPro Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mratzburg

New
Reaction score
Hi folks -

About a month ago I set out to create a convenient rig to use when diving my GoPro HD. When I've taken it diving before I found it hard to hold the camera steady as it's so small in the housing. I got work and came up with what I think it is a nice, cheap solution.

The rig uses a custom GoPro quick-mount that attaches to a common PVC T intersection. The PVC T intersection provides the platform upon which the camera is mounted, and allows me to use the standard GoPro mounting hardware.

I match drilled holes in the PVC and used self-tapping screws to assemble the rig. Then, I followed up with a couple coats of Krylon plastic paint.

Future plans include flexible lighting attachments to fit to the top of the handles. Also, if I wanted, I could easily add bicycle handle grips for additional comfort - they fit the PVC really well.

What do you think? If there's interest I might be able to produce some quick mounts for other folks on the board.

Take care,
Mark

Attachments

• quick_mount_closeup_resized.JPG
    quick_mount_closeup_resized.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 1,628
  • front_withgopro_resized.JPG
    front_withgopro_resized.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 6,261
  • back_withgopro_resized.JPG
    back_withgopro_resized.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 848
Last edited:
Nice concept. One thing I would possibly change is distance between handles. Your shoulders are say X inches apart plus arms plus a comfortable stance so your overall width needs to fit that. On my bonica camera it is about a foot in width. Maybe a tad wider.

Coolest thing about pvc is that it is cheap and waterproof and reliable. I have made 2 bike racks out of it. 1 for truck and 1 for my patio. A bit of pvc cement and that nifty pvc cutter tool and you can start a business eheheh.

That's good feedback. The handles are currently 8.5" center to center. I thought about making it wider but I thought it would look goofy (the GoPro is such a small camera) but I think it probably would be more comfortable. The key piece is the quick mount - I use a 3d printer to make that part.

How did you create the PVC quickmount for the gopro? Did you mill it yourself? Any chance I could buy one or two off of you? :p

Also, how's the weighting? Did you add any lead to it to make it neutral?

Hi Lenaxia -

PVC Quickmount
I make the PVC quick mount out of ABS plastic, using a 3d printer. A 3d printer is a lot like an inkjet printer, except instead of squirting ink onto a page, it squirts hot plastic onto a hot build platform - and the part is built from the bottom to top. I then take the part and either dip it in acetone (for white ABS) or spray a couple coats of acrylic. This step gives the part a nicer finish and also significantly increases part strength.

I could definitely make a couple for you. I will check what colors are available and send you a PM with details.

Buoyency
The rig itself is slightly negative, as is the GoPro in housing. If you wanted a neutral rig you could add a small amount of foam.

Mark

Ahhh, rapid prototyping goodness. That's cheating :)

I'll look forward to it, I'll definitely be interested in 2 pieces of it (so I can play around with different designs).

Mark,
Please send me info on the quick release as well. Leaving for Coz in a little over a week.

Hi Lenaxia -

PVC Quickmount
I make the PVC quick mount out of ABS plastic, using a 3d printer. A 3d printer is a lot like an inkjet printer, except instead of squirting ink onto a page, it squirts hot plastic onto a hot build platform - and the part is built from the bottom to top. I then take the part and either dip it in acetone (for white ABS) or spray a couple coats of acrylic. This step gives the part a nicer finish and also significantly increases part strength.

I could definitely make a couple for you. I will check what colors are available and send you a PM with details.

Buoyency
The rig itself is slightly negative, as is the GoPro in housing. If you wanted a neutral rig you could add a small amount of foam.

Mark

rockinriver and Lenaxia I sent you PMs with details. Let me know if you'd like me to make parts for you.

Cheers,
Mark

I built a handle similar to that a month or so ago. It essentially consisted of a square PVC frame about the size of yours. I used the GoPro seatpost handlebar mount for a bike plus a 90 degree connector to mount the camera. Add a piece of bungee and a bolt snap to secure it to my harness while not being used, and it was done. To deal with buoyancy issues (it was to positive due to the air trapped inside the PVC), I drilled a couple of small holes in the pipe and partially flooded the pipe until it was just slightly negative, then sealed the holes. That was a quick fix, as I plan to place some lead inside the next one I build.

Nice work on the quick release adapter!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom