DIY Handle for the PT-15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

herman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I had recently gotten a new camera and housing but am waiting to purchase a strobe later. While I like the PT-15 housing, it is a little awkward to hold on to and I wanted some form of handle. I also wanted to wait until I was ready to purchase the strobe before inverting in a tray so here is my solution to the problem. This DIY tray is simple, cheap and I justed tested it out on a week long trip to Bonaire. It's not too pretty but it does a nice job for the $10 or so I have in it. The "tray" part is a 7 1/2 x 1 1/4 x 1/4 inch piece of scrap lexan, all of the other parts are SS, aluminum or brass purchased at a local Lowes. The thunb screw and weight are the ones that come with the PT-15.

Great idea. I used a tray/handle with my PT-010 right from the start, also w/o a strobe. It makes the housing a lot easier to handle.

Nice job, Herman. Where did you get the Lexan, at Lowes? I was asking for Plexiglass at our local Lowe's but all they had was very thin stuff. I have a project in mind and need the same stuff you used.

I actually have no idea where the Lexan came from... I am a huge packrat and when I find trash pieces of "I bet I have a use for that" stuff I pack it away. You might try looking up plastics in the local phone book. I know we have a local dealer that stocks a lot of sheet and rod plastic.

Thanks, I've been wanting to add a tray to mount my NiteRider light head on so they are both on one handle.

hey Herman once again you getting creative sometime you scare me LOL!!!
Great job !!put patent on it hurry looks great I Have my strobe ordered due to be hear middle of week .

Joe,
Have you seen my thread on the Smart media I messed up? If you are using any of it, be careful because you can accidently format it so that it will not work with your camera. So far I have not been able to fix the problem.

Lat Adj, I see no reason that the tray could not be extended to handle most anything within reason. The only problem I ran into was some types of plastics (plexaglass it think it was) was not quite stiff enough to do the job but the Lexan seemed to be fine. It flexes a little but not enough to be a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom