DIY Hookah Rig Compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gone2long

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Compressor - Bencix Tu Flo 500.jpg
Folks,

I am a "newbie" DIYer, considering building my own hookah rig. However, I am in the Philippines, where most of the products that folks would normally use are not available. Here, most commercial divers are using a Tu Flow 500 compressor made by the Air Brake Division of the Bendix-Westinghouse Corporation. It kicks out 12 CFM 1250 rpms and has three holes in the top. I have included a photo of the compressor, which is also available online in the Bendix Company's catalogue.

My questions then are as follows: Will this compressor, which is apparently made to assist the braking power on large diesel trucks, be safe to use as a compressor for a hookah rig. Local spear fisherman use it almost exclusively, but that does not mean ... etc. Also, is this an "oil less" compressor?

Furthermore, apparently, the three holes in the top are for three hookah lines which can be used to accommodate three divers. If I am going to use it for only one diver, I assume that I would plug the other two holes, but I am wondering what that would do to the pressure coming out the other end and how that would affect the regulator I plan to adapt for this purpose.

Lastly, would I need a holding tank for the air, or could I rig an air line directly to my regulator? Will be using a vintage, US Diver's Aquarius regulator which I plan to adjust to accommodate the difference in pressure coming from the compressor v. a normal, scuba tank. Will that work?

I know, lots of questions for a single post, but hopefully some folks out there can help.

Regards,

G2L

Read through this. http://www.bendixvrc.com/itemdisplay.asp?documentid=4384
To answer a couple of your questions...
It is not an oil less compressor, and the air would not be safe to breath without filtering it first.
This compressor has a governor that will not over-pressure, or dead head the pump, but they are only rated for a 25% duty cycle. You may be better off befriending one of the locals that are using one of these pumps, and mirroring their system.

Last edited:
Thanks,

Will check the link provided.

Regards,

G2L

Read through this. http://www.bendixvrc.com/itemdisplay.asp?documentid=4384
To answer a couple of your questions...
It is not an oil less compressor, and the air would not be safe to breath without filtering it first.
This compressor has a governor that will not over-pressure, or dead head the pump, but they are only rated for a 25% duty cycle. You may be better off befriending one of the locals that are using one of these pumps, and mirroring their system.

Hi again,

Sorry it too me some time to get back to you. Your suggestion makes sense, but the problem would be that these local guys have ABSOLUTELY NO idea about safety, so I doubt that they use any kind of filter on their rigs. They will routinely spray-paint in an enclosed area with no mask on, ride a 125cc scooter with the wife and two kids jammed aboard, pass on the right with no warning and no shoulder along the road etc., etc.

To your point, could you suggest a particular type of filter that might actually work? And, where would you put it - just after the air exits on the compressor head, or further down the line?

Thanks for your advice,

G2L

I don't know about the filters. The truck I drive, with the compressor you linked, does not need clean air for the brakes to work. I would suggest searching for a Thomas Industries "OIL FREE" compressor if you are intent on the DIY route. Google and Youtube have some creative ideas...

Using an oil-lubricated compressor in a DIY hookah is a really, really dumb idea. And I find it difficult to belive that you can't find a cheap, oil-less compressor in your area. Any oil-less compressor (with the right air delivery specs) will work and be much simple to use than the belt-driven unit you've indicated you're inclined to buy.

Back
Top Bottom