DIY Tank Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tiny Bubbles

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Here's a new DIY tank light I'm almost done with... It uses 3 CMOS ICs to produce a back-and-forth motion across a row of 10 red brake-light LEDs, like the Cylons or Knight Rider. It's housed inside of a 1-3/8" ID x 1-3/4" OD x 10" Long acrylic tube, with custom end caps, and bolts on in between the tank bands of double tanks. It's powered by 4 rechargeable AAA NiMH batteries and turns on when it comes in contact with water.

Click here for a quicktime video of it (6.5 MB):
http://69.47.246.17/diving/diy/tanklight/PA010109.MOV

More info to come if anyone's interested in this stuff.

-Tiny-B.

Wow... It is cool!

You definately remind me of "Knight Rider" TV show.....
Please post the part and manual.

BTW, is it DIR?

Cool project!

How much pressure do you think it can withstand?

attchoum:
please, tell us how you make it step by step
I would be interested in a more detailed explanation too if you wouldn't mind doing one. Maybe just a schematic and where you got your stuff or maybe more detailed.

Why not just take x-mas lights and wrap it around your tank...........nice.

I think it can take some pressure. The wall thickness is 3/16", which doesn't sound like much, but it is a lot for a 1-3/8" tube. I've taken it on 2 dives to 64 feet, without the electronics inside, and it didn't leak a drop. I believe it can handle depths much greater than that.

The acrylic & delrin for the housing came from McMaster-Carr.
The electronic parts came from Digi-Key, and I used iron-on circuitboard transfer paper from Technics, inc. I'll work on getting a parts list & schematic together.

-Tiny-B.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom