DIY UW Mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Final assembly pictures.

I'm going to try testing in the pool Thursday. Slave works great in air, hope water works as well.

cfelliot:
Final assembly pictures.

I'm going to try testing in the pool Thursday. Slave works great in air, hope water works as well.

How deep can that clear top box go before it leaks? Have you tested that yet? If you have not tested it yet try using a rope and lowering it down.

The box is only rated for 3' with the seal that comes with the case.

I intend to seal it with silicon prior to the beginning of a 5 day dive trip in April.

While sealed, power is turned on/off with a magnetic switch.

I tested the box with a set of lithium batteries and got 220+ flashes.

This is more than I've ever take. When I get home I'll cycle the case.

If you look at a new case at some point, consider the OtterBox -- their small boxes are submersible to depth (unlike the small Pelicans that are just "splashproof")...

Only other question is how do you aim the strobe?

KrisB:
If you look at a new case at some point, consider the OtterBox -- their small boxes are submersible to depth (unlike the small Pelicans that are just "splashproof")...

Only other question is how do you aim the strobe?

KrisB,

Fixed strobe focus at 4.5 ft in front of lens. I thought that this was general enough for a first try. Next strobe will be adjustable.

Yes to the otterboxes. I have already purchased 2. I just don't have time before we leave for Hawaii(2 Apr) to build it. This box will also couple the camera's flash to the strobe via a TOS-link(DVD to Receiver) optic cable. I've tested this cable and it works great.

Chuck

PS No leaks in pool test!

I've reached the point that I need to ask for some help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although I had no leaks in the pool test and the slave stobe fired on each test shot,
the pictures came out very-very dark!

I am using a Canon a-75 in the Underwater Mode for simplicity.

With both flashes firing, bottom with diffuser, I would assume a possible over exposure, but an under exposure????

Could the lights above the pool have caused this somehow????

Camera has worked well on land for a year.

Chuck

cfelliot:
I've reached the point that I need to ask for some help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although I had no leaks in the pool test and the slave stobe fired on each test shot,
the pictures came out very-very dark!

I am using a Canon a-75 in the Underwater Mode for simplicity.

With both flashes firing, bottom with diffuser, I would assume a possible over exposure, but an under exposure????

Could the lights above the pool have caused this somehow????

Camera has worked well on land for a year.

Chuck

can your slave unit be set to ignore the pre-flash.. digital cameras figure out how to set everything by first firing a pre flash to see how much light comes back then sets everything accordingly.. two things could be happening first slave is firing with pre flash and screwing up settings and also firing with the real flash (its too fast for you to see), second its firing with pre plash and NOT firing the true flash (this is bad)..

You need the slave to not fire when the preflash fires..

padiscubapro:
can your slave unit be set to ignore the pre-flash.. digital cameras figure out how to set everything by first firing a pre flash to see how much light comes back then sets everything accordingly.. two things could be happening first slave is firing with pre flash and screwing up settings and also firing with the real flash (its too fast for you to see), second its firing with pre plash and NOT firing the true flash (this is bad)..

You need the slave to not fire when the preflash fires..

Slave triggers only on actual flash!

cfelliot:
Slave triggers only on actual flash!

If you're *UNDEREXPOSED*, there are two possibilities: (1) the slave is triggering on the pre-flash, (2) the flash is not aimed at your target.

Now that you've verified that your system is watertight, you should do your testing on-land. You can easily verify for (1) by taking a picture of a white wall far away. Far enough away that the digital camera strobe by itself still leaves the picture underexposed, but when the slave is connected, you get a "good" picture (12-15 ft is a good distance). I've read that if you set your camera to "manual" mode, it won't preflash.

Good luck & enjoy your trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom