DIY UW Mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the flash really doesn't seem to be doing anything... those pics are similar in colouring to un-strobed pics I've seen elsewhere.

Two I know were taken without the flash: turtle #1 and the bandit angel. None were as close as I'd hoped - image was cropped. I guess that'll come with practice. You may be right that it didn't always fire. Next time I'll have a fiber link between the main and slave.

This being my first time with a camera underwater, I'm happy as hell.

for a first time, yeah, that's great!

I thought with the fact you were making your own mount, with external strobe that you had already done that a fair bit... so, you haven't even tried the camera w/just the internal strobe?

I have been into photography for some time and at one time I was a huge aquarium buff. My first dive didn’t come until 2002. Why I waited so long I can’t answer, but UW photography is the logical marriage of the above interests. I’m on the slippery slope of the learning curve, but hope to gain further experience in local waters this summer.

All I can say is that I’m a software engineer, designing and building things is just my nature. I had a bunch of fun for 2+ months before I ever got near the water!!!

cfelliot:
I have been into photography for some time and at one time I was a huge aquarium buff. My first dive didn’t come until 2002. Why I waited so long I can’t answer, but UW photography is the logical marriage of the above interests. I’m on the slippery slope of the learning curve, but hope to gain further experience in local waters this summer.

All I can say is that I’m a software engineer, designing and building things is just my nature. I had a bunch of fun for 2+ months before I ever got near the water!!!

Thanks for sharing with us your idea. :wink: Actually I had a similar idea to DIY a UW mount for strobes using PVC pipes. But i had never thought of using bicycle handle grip or house a land external strobe in a casing. You are good mate. I will try to DIY the UW mount in june after i finished my exams. I'm trying to DIY a adapter for adding macro close up filter for my canon A70 too. Will share the results if I'm successful. Thanks mate once again for sharing the idea. 3 cheers for you.

Hi cfelliot,
I use an A70 with 2 slaves (on land) and must use Manual mode. This prevents the dark shots. I can set the camera flash power to adjust it's contribution. In water it's probably best to set it low to minimize backscatter.

The dark shots on normal modes use a very quick pre-flash to adjust the exposure then when the picture is captured the slave is re-charging. In Manual mode there is no pre-flash.

I don't know if those are good pictures are not. All I know is that it is 0100 HRS (in Virginia) and they just made me go get up to pack up my gear to go diving instead of cutting the grass tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom