DM Internship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gounta

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I have recently just completed my IDC and IE exams (PADI) and passed. The story I want to share has to do with how I managed to get to the IDC.

Internships are a great idea as you have an opportunity to gain a lot of diving experience, mentoring from your peers, spending time with customers and time to study theory rather than trying to achieve a DM result in 4 weeks.
From the experience I had I would say that there was plenty of time to study while sitting in a shop. Yes I did go diving but only when everyone else was busy with dive trips and there were customers who wanted to do local dives. Mentoring was minimal with only negative feedback which was great for my self esteem. The result from this was that I questioned everything I did.

Anyway I managed to finish my DM, well that is what I was told, then it took another 2 months before I was given the paperwork to send in to PADI. Actually I demanded the paperwork and when I went in to the office for a meeting was handed the paperwork and told it had been signed for a month and forward dated 1 month so it didn't look like they had been holding onto it. From this point I decided after 4 weeks this relationship should not go any further and told them that was it. It was not really surprising to the owner.

O.K so what am I saying. Well do your homework and make sure you understand and have agreed on terms and conditions of your internship. Get everything in writing. I had done my OW & AOW with this company as a paying customer and had no idea of how disorganised they were until being behind the scenes. Not to mention breaking standards.

In the end I completed what I set out to do and that is to become a OWSI. So I have managed to end my break on a positive note. The company I did my IDC with were a separate company to that I did my internship with, and were extremely professional in all aspects.

Diving is meant to be fun and rewarding so make sure you understand what you are getting into from both sides. Confirm everything in writing so there are no surprises and you will have a great and rewarding experience.

I hope this post helps even just one person not to make the same mistakes I did.

Hindsight is wonderful.

Welcome to :sblogo:

I appreciate your story, and maybe you may want to share this in the "Going Pro" section of the board. Since you are a DM, you may have to opt in by selecting that group on your profile page. Diving is always a learning process, live and learn and then go dive. :)

Carolyn:shark2:

Great story. I hope theres another Dive shop around you.

Part of the problem is that many dive shop owners are divers and not good business people, DM internships provide them with a free labor pool and you have to pay for your training, if they get to drag it out as it seems you experienced they gain even more benefit.

I am glad to hear that you persevered and copmleted your IDC, welcome aboard and good luck in the future. :)

This was very helpful. Thanks for sharing. I am just pounding out the Divemaster Manual right now before starting my internship with my mentor. I now know what questions to ask before being matched up with someone. Your input is much appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom