DM or Master Diver????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
OR...get ten answers and pick what parts you like! I LOVE getting ten answers.

I even like predicting who will say what.

Yea, there is some fun in that isn't there? At least until you can predict the players.

James

I know I don't want to teach. I like the way the bar is raised in technical training and I see a real trend towards rec/tec because people do want to stretch the limits.

why is it that stretching the limits being a tech diver is kosher but stretching the limits being a stroke is not? That's what I want to know. I think you have a danger quota and you can spend it how you like. There is a certain moralism about acceptable risks and unacceptable risks, that is very fascinating and relates to people's individual need for control, their peer group, etc.

That is why I like the character development here, I can put an opinion in a broader context of the person's other opinions, experience, region, education, training.--fun stuff.

Catherine, it is the recreational dive world which has made the limits. The goal in tech diving is to make the dives less dangerous. I'm not trying to judge other divers, just pointing out another path besides DM or even recreational DIR (the odl fundies).

catherine96821:
OR...get ten answers and pick what parts you like! I LOVE getting ten answers.

I even like predicting who will say what.

Some people are too easy to predict. And yes, multple responses are good. That's why I say, pick the ones that align with your goals and don't get waded down in things like agency bashing or "you must dive a BW/Wing" etc.

Find the people wo make sense to you and follow the lead. Don't get bogged down in 10K+ egos.

James

TheRedHead:
goal in tech diving is to make the dives less dangerous.\
The goal of tek diving courses is, like rec diving courses, to make the diving you are doing "less dangerous".

Please give me an example of a non "tech" diving course that does not share that goal?

Don't pick a fight with me, James. The point I made was the recreational diving world has said that deco diving and diving deeper than 130 feet is dangerous. They don't address the danger. Tech tries to give you the skills to ameliorate the danger and it has nothing to do with Catherine's description of a danger quota. I'm not going to judge anyone who dives outside of recreational depths. I think the tech training is very challenging and fun.

catherine96821:
why is it that stretching the limits being a tech diver is kosher but stretching the limits being a stroke is not?

Please remember that the term "stroke" has 2 meanings:

1. someone who does not follow a very ridgid set of rules
2. someone who is proud to be indepentant of that rigid set of rules.

It's all in the capitalisation of the 'S'.

catherine96821:
That's what I want to know. I think you have a danger quota and you can spend it how you like. There is a certain moralism about acceptable risks and unacceptable risks, that is very fascinating and relates to people's individual need for control, their peer group, etc.
Excellent point. When I was 17 and single I had a huge acceptable risk. When I bought a house it went down. When I got married it went down again. Now that I have a 2 year old and am waiting on another, my personal risk factor is rather low.

I'm all for personal decisions. I figure it's better for the speccies.

James

That is why I like the character development here, I can put an opinion in a broader context of the person's other opinions, experience, region, education, training.--fun stuff.
But compare yourself to the new or "fairly new" diver?

TheRedHead:
I know I don't want to teach. I like the way the bar is raised in technical training and I see a real trend towards rec/tec because people do want to stretch the limits.

I'm all for technical training, there is a lot to be learned there. But. some people just want to dive warm blue water and are happy with that. Is there not avenue for them?

I'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone, though I do have to give you a little bit of your own medicine in saying I'm not sure which post you are replying to :wink: So please take my resonse in kind. I.E. I'm responding to your statement not some long train..

I woudn't say that deco or non-rec deep (a.k.a > 130 feet) is dangerous at all. (To a point). Safe dives can be made far beyond those depths. Rec divers push the mythical 130' limit reguarly without inciendent.

Should they? Absoulty no. I'm all for tek training for tek diving. IMHO there is no such thing as a ceiling in the rec world. Absolutly you need advanced training to dive with a ceiling. The "rec cavern" plays with this a little but, yea, if you can't suface, you need to know more. A lot more.

TheRedHead:
Don't pick a fight with me, James. The point I made was the recreational diving world has said that deco diving and diving deeper than 130 feet is dangerous. They don't address the danger. Tech tries to give you the skills to ameliorate the danger and it has nothing to do with Catherine's description of a danger quota. I'm not going to judge anyone who dives outside of recreational depths. I think the tech training is very challenging and fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom