DM Swim Test - what training do you recommend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dharker

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For the swim test for DM what training do people recommend, other than lots of swimming?

I have about 4 months till I have to do it so want to get some training in. I swim 5 times a week at the minute, but I just seem to be a naturally slow swimmer, which is annoying.

Any help would be really great,

Cheers,

Dante

Many advise anything that helps with cardio. I did a lot of running--don't know if that helped. And the excercise bike. I also did some arm stretches with the rubber things. But lots of swimming would be the real key, and it seems that you do a lot already. Maybe get some advice on the part of the arm stroke that gives you the most power--I found that to be when your arm is deepest and near your side.

I did a lot of swimming, biking and walking. I've never been a runner or a fast swimmer. I bought a book called Total Immersion that was recommended by several people on Scubaboard. It did help me understand some proper swimming technique but I don't know how much it really helped since I only had a short time to work with it. My plan was to kick butt on everything else and not stress over the swim... it worked for me.

Find a swim coach.

Seriously. If you tell them what you want to do, and the time frame available, they can point you toward the skills/workouts with the biggest payback.

I could give you lots of tips from afar here on the internet, but without actually seeing you swim, I could be telling you stuff you already know. Or, overlooking something really basic that might help you immensely.

All the best, James

Sadly @fdog I can't afford them, £30 a hour at my gym, way out of my league, and the only other place that offers them cheaper is too far away with no car. (Trying not to sound like a naysayer)

I did sit through tons of youtube videos last night with lots of pointers that I'm going to put into practice today.

I think the biggest thing is just getting my cardio levels up, I think that'll make the most improvement, when I can swim it without getting out of breath I'm sure I'll be swimming faster (boo to having 6 months off with a damaged leg).

Cheers

hi
i hope i enjoy my stay here

pls be nice to me

thanks!

don't stress about the swimming part too much.
I practiced once (and timed it) and i'm slow, but still scored decent points on the actual test.
It's only one of the parts!

As a general life skill being a technically competent swimmer is important I think.

if you are somewhat fit, get a coach for a while and improve technically. I missed out on a 4 points (by 15sec) for the PADI swim test and I'd consider myself to be in average/bad fitness for me when I did it.... it's all about technique when you're swimming more than about 100m.

It's all about technique. Don't go for the sprint where you end up losing time because you run out of stamina. Get a good grip on your pace and go for the duration. Wearing yourself out because you're trying to get extra points can detract from getting points for the duration. Remember....slow and steady wins the race.

I'm not a strong swimmer either, but did an 8 week adult swim class at the community pool. Wasn't very expensive, but a great work out and great to work on stroke technique. An added benefit was the the instructor did lots of work with fins and kickboard, so flew through the 800 m snorkel when the time came.

I was concerned about how I would do on the swim. When it came down to it, my instructor had me do the swim last and I already had the 12 points required. That took the pressure off and I ended up with a 4 point swim.

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom