DM training -- $$$ questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
I know this is going to sound selfish.......

Do DMs get paid for assisting with classes and other "traditional" DM activities?

Is it typical that DMs receive discounts for gear purchased at the shop they work for? At other shops?

Also -- other than watermanship requirements, what are the basics that are common to most DM certifications (course work, OW class assistance, etc.)?

Thanks.

I get discounts on trips the instructor runs and the university pays for my DM renewal every year. I have to pay for insurance, the university has a policy to cover us when working with their students but I wanted to cover myself for diving outside the university sponsored activities. The rest is just volunteer work but I can claim my expenses on my taxes! Of course so far I haven't exceeded the standard deduction while itemizing my dive gear and training trips :(
Ber :bunny:

Which is close to what I've "earned"

"Do DMs get paid for assisting with classes and other "traditional" DM activities? "
-> Depends on what flavor DM you are. I'm essentially a recreational diver who's studied enough to pass DM - I get nearly 0 [sometimes the instructor pops for a beer, etc...] - - but, if you're the flavor that works for a resort or boat - I would expect compensation that passes for a poor wage.

Is it typical that DMs receive discounts for gear purchased at the shop they work for?
-> At my shop - I expect that! & I'll be quite interested in others replies!
At other shops?
-> Unlikely - What have you done for them today?

Cheers

Absolutely no pay nor any tips for assisting. I usually supply cookies, soft drinks, snacks, and spare parts for classes. I like to be able to fix any problem with gear with zip ties, O rings, or string. I carry a complete tool kit and spare regs.
I fill tanks, sometimes as many as 25 tanks, if I have time.

Shop gets me gear at cost. This year, I'm asking for new gear on a "key man" deal, less than cost, because the manufacturer or distributer kicks in a discount on top of the shop discount, so you "show off" their gear. Limited to one set of gear, I think. Cost is about 50% of retail, except on tanks, which are not discounted much because shops make very little on tanks.

No other DM at our shop gets this deal on gear, because I work my butt off for nothing. One other guy used to, but got caught up in flying airplanes and isn't around much anymore. I could probably talk the shop into paying me a small hourly salary for the work I do and use the money to pay for gear and get a better deal.

As far as requirements, you have to pass some written tests on modules, you have to assist a certain number of classes in the pool, and a certain number of classes in the lake. You have to map a dive site. You have to demonstrate some rescue skills, and simulated emergencies. When you get the book, it lists the requirements pretty clearly, there's a lot of stuff.

D

I don't get a discount on trips, but if a trip gets enough customers to need another leader, I might get a free trip someday. I have gotten two free trips on the Flower Gardens by acting as a DM.

I will be given several PADI specialties free, which the instructor came up with because he took so long to get my card. Free specialties wasn't a big deal to me, but it seemed to be to him
and it made him feel good, so I told him I really appreciated it, which I do, because of the gesture.
So, if you're in it for the money, get a job at Micky-Ds instead.

I get paid for any "official" DM activity I do for the shop I'm hired by. It includes: confined water, open water, snorkle lessons, and scuba reviews.

I also get a percentage off anything I buy from the shop, and free air fills.

I get a sizeable discount on any merchandise in the store as well as a yearly key man deal like Campana described. All air and Nitrox fills are free, whether it's for a class or personal diving. I keep all fees charged for refresher courses I conduct. Some of the other dive shops I frequent will pass along a 20% discount even though I don't DM for them. Getting a discount on gear sounds really good at first but after you've bought or replaced the expensive stuff, the discount doesn't count for much. The free airfills has been the most used perk so far.

I do not get compensated for my time and/or travel expenses while working with classes. All the things that I need to make the class go smoothly....o-rings, mask and fin straps, extra weights and belts, lights, spare regs and BC, etc. as well as snacks, bottled water and towels come out of my pocket. Students are asked to reimburse costs for straps but it seldom happens. The Instructor usually has these same things but if I packed them, I know they are there. The Instructors always buy dinner when on check out trips and occasionally cover hotwl expenses but I don't count on it.

I first decided to take the Divemaster course to further my education and knowledge of the theories. While interning for classes, I discovered I had a knack for helping others learn and I enjoyed it tremendously. When I decided to work as a Divemaster, it was not to make money, it was because I enjoyed it.

I think any DM who helps with a class should get paid in some form. Any DM who works for me gets paid. Sometimes it's only 50 bucks, lunch, gas, and a day on the boat but they must be compensated in some way. If they help out through the entire pool and open water, then I can give them more because the class is usually a large one.

Neil

In reading some of these responses it became clear that DM compensation levels vary widely. I edited my previous response to change the "you" to "I", since others apparently have very different experiences. I must have hooked up with the wrong shop. No, I did not ask about the perks before plunking my money down for the DM class. I was on good terms with the owner as a regular customer, so I just assumed it would be worth the effort. That was a mistake, I admit.

I got free air, but only for classes. That's it. The owner kept saying they were going to put together a better compensation package and put it in writing. Time went by and nothing more was said about it. When I had the nerve to ask about it, I got read the riot act. The instructor was a prick and the shop owner never invited me to go for fun dives on their boat, although I was always hearing about what a great time they had. I don't think that anybody can blame me for going out the door with my middle finger in the air.

I'm currently doing my DM training now. I never really gave much thought to compensation for being a DM. I'm more interested in personal growth than getting spiffs from the shop but if they decide to provide discounts, free air and such I'll take it. I enjoy working with students and I looked at DM training as a way to keep me more involved in the sport.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom