Bonaire, Little Cayman (or Cozumel) for mix of non divers, beginners, and advanced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello. I am looking for advice on a trip late October, early November to Bonaire, Little Cayman, or "elsewhere: that is an easy flight from the US mainland. There may be a mix of non divers, some of whom may get certified while there, snorkelers with no interest in certification, very beginner divers (me), and a couple of others that do not dive a lot but are definitely more advanced. As a beginner, and more so due to my personality, I would prefer a destination where shallow, "easy" dive sites are easily accessible, preferably where snorkelers could be above us, plus some top side activities, and dive sites for the more advanced. This group is happy with adequate, not necessarily "upscale" accommodations (we do like AC), hopefully calm seas and an abundance of sea life, and a dive shop boasting dives led by DM, as well as instruction and certification opportunities, is a necessity.

Alternatively, if the others choose not to join us, it may just be me and my hubby, and perhaps a brother and another friend, of which all but me have many dives and are overall much more comfortable with scuba diving.

As for myself, I am a self-acclaimed "risk averse, passive" person who was certified years ago yet just now looking at diving as an activity to "age in to". I am a fine swimmer with a healthy fear of water, yet "nervous" about diving as my limited experience was with I felt were "rushed" dives relative to gear set up on rocking boats and descent starting in quite choppy waters, though that's likely due to my personality. I just opted for, and successfully completed, a refresher course in the Florida Keys that was chased with a couple of dives without a DM or instructor, though I had thought the instructor would be with me during the dives. I was assigned a "buddy" for the dives, and both were shallow dives. Fortunately, the instructor for the refresher was an amazing, confidence building instructor and the divers on the boat was made up of a casual, small group of incredibly thoughtful divers, who dive with this "outfit" regularly. Having no DM (which I've always had on my few previous dives) resulted in my learning a great deal about communicating about the dive while on the boat, before descent, just after descent (one diver had to provide me with some of their weight), and continuously throughout the dive (this was a big positive lesson, as I've always just followed a DM). The instructor, who was a mate on the boat, apparently was very cognizant of the groups communication as they commented on such (as well as gently scolded me for not coming back up for my own weight, though happy the other diver and I worked together to adjust my weights while underwater). I was even able to take some group pictures of the other divers as someone had an underwater camera and taught me how to use it while underwater, the communication was that effective (and the dive was that "easy", no current, shallow, very clear waters)! The result of this experience is that I'm ready to dive again because my comfort level has exponentially increased, and it was an overall great experience.

All of the above is to say that if it is just me and my husband, and maybe a couple other advanced divers, I'd prefer to be at a location where the others can go off on advanced dives and I can avail myself to any training opportunity, dives with DM, "easy (shallow, little current, warm, clear, sea life - things we beginners want) and "home" reefs right off the dock or beach, so as to gain more experience, comfort and confidence without the others feeling as if they have to accommodate their wishes and wants for diving to my novice experience.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts on where I may find my unicorn!
Don't overlook Curacao. It is easier to get to from the mainland and there are more things for non-divers, and snorkelers to do,

Has Divi's North dock been repaired yet from last year's storm?
A friend of mine took this picture on March 23, 2024. So they are making progress but it took 18 months to get it to this point. I don't know how it looks today. I hope it's done by the time I go in August. My room is at the north end of the property, and until the north dock is done, all dives are off the south dock. Not too far but I prefer falling out of bed and onto the dive boat. First-world problems. And note that calm water :wink:

Dive Pier.jpg

Out of your choices, I would also recommend Bonaire. Another option would be Curacao. There are more topside attractions and the diving is similar to Bonaire. Plus, there are more flights into Curacao. I have not been to Belize, but it is on the radar. Seems popular with both divers and non-divers.

Look into Lion Dive resort on Curacao. On site excellent dive shop, house reef and excellent protected beach for non divers. A short walk along the beach takes you to Mambo Beach with assorted shops and several restaurant choices. Take a taxi into Willemstad
for drinks on the waterway at Gouverneur's and dinner at the Wine Cellar (perennially rated one of the top fine dining restaurants in the Caribbean), Mondo Bizarro, or local cuisine at Maira's Kitchen.

For "valet" diving, look into the Dive Bus. They will pick you up in their van and take you to a shore diving location like "Tug Boat" (about 20 feet depth suitable for any level diver or snorkeler) or Cas Abao (as pretty a beach as any you will find in the world.)

While we love the shore diving on Bonaire, most non-divers can find more to do on Curacao.

I've been lucky to never have an issue with petty theft. The general word "crime" puts people on alert. I want to point out that I walk to town regularly when I'm there, day and night, and I've never felt unsafe or had any issues of any kind. I consider the place completely safe from a personal security standpoint.
We stayed at Buddy's Dive Resort. We had a "home invasion" in our hotel room while we were there. I don't consider Bonaire completely safe. I'd go back, but I'd stay at a more exclusive walled-in resort with security.

We stayed at Buddy's Dive Resort. We had a "home invasion" in our hotel room while we were there.
Long ago. Right? Tell the whole truth.

We stayed at Buddy's Dive Resort. We had a "home invasion" in our hotel room while we were there. I don't consider Bonaire completely safe. I'd go back, but I'd stay at a more exclusive walled-in resort with security.

Long ago. Right? Tell the whole truth.

Without any conflicting facts......it just seems petty and juvenile to question the integrity or "truth" of another persons post? I personally think Doc Harry is posting an honest account and truth of his experience.

Without any conflicting facts..
You need to read other threads and catch up. His expereince was long ago, and is no longer relevant. Now he is just providing no longer relevant info and confusing the issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom