DM training -- $$$ questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well it varies for me from situation to situation... when I help out a shop, I am usually helping the instructor/manager and so get great deals on classes, gear etc. At the very least, I get free air/NitrOx for classes, sometimes it gets extended to my fun dives as well. When I DM for non profits, such as the Boy Scouts, I expect and get nothing, except knowing that I got to help out with a great outfit. Heck, the only reason I am helping out with classes now is to get ready for my Instructor Training Class, and I am only taking my Instructor Training Class to teach my BSA Venture Crew for free.

My pay-off will be to watch these young citizens grow and mature and become effective leaders in the community. I do mean that sincerely. This does not mean that I will never do training for cash... just not for the BSA. Thats the commitment that I made, and I am sticking to it!

However, a good friend pointed out that the more you DM or teach, the less you dive for you... very wise words to think about.

We get free air fills of any kind, the LDS has a lake house and puts up all the DMs and SOs and foots the bill for the food for the W/E. The "drinks" are on the DMs.

Plus the LDS pays for the liability insurance. Also the usual Key-man deals plus some other minor perks.

ID

I must say I've been lucky I have DM'ed at a lds for allmost two years I get gear at cost, I dont pay for trips, free air saves me a couple of hunderd a month and classes I do myself I get paid. I do like what I do and it keeps me busy...... diverjohnz

Back
Top Bottom