DMs behaving badly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, you had to know it was only matter of time before a divemaster stepped into this post. We are certainly not all out there molesting the marine life! Some of these examples are horrible and are making us all look like a bunch of sadistic animal abusers!
I agree with the comment to the effect that divemasters are to conduct themselves professionally and display leadership abilities. We absolutely should be setting a good example, but this holds true of any and all dive professionals, including instructors and the dive shops/resorts they work out of. Yes, some of these DM's are showing off, and some may just be plain stupid, but there is also the possibility they are doing this because they believe it's what the divers they are leading want (or even what the resort may want them to do?) Before you attack me... that doesn't condone their behaviour (or such behaviour of any diver) How about telling these divemasters (after such a dive of course) that you don't feel it necessary for them to handle the marine life? Maybe they'll take notice, which would accomplish a lot more than just bashing them here. If not, say something to the resort operator.
What I am saying is that ALL divers have a responsibility to respect the marine life. Many divers (certainly around here) do all of their post-certification dives without a divemaster along to set an example. After all, I seem to recall that it is right in the open water manual not to touch or harass the marine life. So if you are a certified diver, you are aware of this and have this responsibility as much as you do to check your own air.

DiverDebbie:
Ok, you had to know it was only matter of time before a divemaster stepped into this post. We are certainly not all out there molesting the marine life! Some of these examples are horrible and are making us all look like a bunch of sadistic animal abusers!
I agree with the comment to the effect that divemasters are to conduct themselves professionally and display leadership abilities. We absolutely should be setting a good example, but this holds true of any and all dive professionals, including instructors and the dive shops/resorts they work out of. Yes, some of these DM's are showing off, and some may just be plain stupid, but there is also the possibility they are doing this because they believe it's what the divers they are leading want (or even what the resort may want them to do?) Before you attack me... that doesn't condone their behaviour (or such behaviour of any diver) How about telling these divemasters (after such a dive of course) that you don't feel it necessary for them to handle the marine life? Maybe they'll take notice, which would accomplish a lot more than just bashing them here. If not, say something to the resort operator.
What I am saying is that ALL divers have a responsibility to respect the marine life. Many divers (certainly around here) do all of their post-certification dives without a divemaster along to set an example. After all, I seem to recall that it is right in the open water manual not to touch or harass the marine life. So if you are a certified diver, you are aware of this and have this responsibility as much as you do to check your own air.

NO TIP for handling the marine life

A Reef Trekker DM did the same thing when we were in Oahu a few weeks ago. We didn't see many critters on our dives. The DM's have probably scared 'em all off

AND...we didn't tip him.

DiverDebbie:

It only take a few bad DMs/divers/etc., to make the majority seem bad. Unfortunately this is with everything. If they are DMs I would suggest talking to them about their behavior, if that isn't satisfying, then contact the dive shop/charter and their licensing agency. This may not do anything buy at least you let people know what that person is doing. If it is another diver, talk to them or talk to them with the DM of the trip. Sometimes peer pressure can be positive. Just my $.02.

Ken

ktrjc:
It only take a few bad DMs/divers/etc., to make the majority seem bad. Unfortunately this is with everything. If they are DMs I would suggest talking to them about their behavior, if that isn't satisfying, then contact the dive shop/charter and their licensing agency. This may not do anything buy at least you let people know what that person is doing. If it is another diver, talk to them or talk to them with the DM of the trip. Sometimes peer pressure can be positive. Just my $.02.

Ken

I don't think confronting anyone especially in front of other people is ever a good idea, you may get a reaction you don't want.
Maybe a conversation with your buddy (that the offending party can overhear) along the lines off. Great dive just love it no newbies smashing up the reef and manhandling the sea life..we had a good bunch of divers today.
As for DMs as I stated quietly explain no tip as you don't approve of handling the sea life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom