DMT Koh Lanta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reallyjazzy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Had anybody done their gotten their dive master in Koh Lanta Thailand? I'm thinking about doing it there or Philippines but I was talking with some people who were saying if I want a nice variety of good diving, go to the Philippines, if I want a good education at a well established school, stay in Thailand. Anyone have any good advice on this? Or would suggest somewhere else in Southeast Asia? Also- tips on how to find the right dive center.. Internship vs training? Do these things make a difference when applying to work as a Divemaster around the world? Thanks in advance for your help and time! Happy New Year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Koh Lanta offers good variety in diving too - Hin Daeng/Hin Muang in the open seas for the big stuff; Koh Ha for nice, easy reefs with lots of fish and some macro and swim-throughs; Bida Nok/Bida Nai for leopard sharks and turtles; King Cruiser Wreck and rumours of another wreck coming very soon; plus diving in 'the klong' for frogfish, seahorses and nudis...

I found the Philippines (Malapascua) to be okay. Apart from the thresher sharks, I got bored of the diving in Malapascua quite quickly. I prefer to dive in 'fishy' areas. Malapascua has some amazing macro and the afore-mentioned threshers, but there are no schools of fish...

Have any experience diving with Lanta Diver or Scubafish?

Both shops have good, experienced instructors running the DM programmes. Lanta Diver is in the north of Lanta, in the main town of Saladan, and Scubafish is right down south in Kantiang Bay. Kantiang is very nice, but it can be a little isolated down that part of the island. Most people from Scubafish stay in and around Kantiang Bay (which is very beautiful), and then you are a little short of choices for restaurants and bars. Staying further north on the island, you get a wider variety of restaurants, bars and accommodation etc. Scubafish is the only dive centre in Kantiang (I think), all the others are further north. Most DMs and instructors on the island tend to live around the Long Beach area.

Scubafish and Lanta Diver both have good facilities - good boats and pool access and well-equipped classrooms. Check out the terms of the course. Scubafish might ask you do spend time in the shop booking trips and courses. Lanta Diver won't...

Had anybody done their gotten their dive master in Koh Lanta Thailand? I'm thinking about doing it there or Philippines but I was talking with some people who were saying if I want a nice variety of good diving, go to the Philippines, if I want a good education at a well established school, stay in Thailand. Anyone have any good advice on this? Or would suggest somewhere else in Southeast Asia? Also- tips on how to find the right dive center.. Internship vs training? Do these things make a difference when applying to work as a Divemaster around the world? Thanks in advance for your help and time! Happy New Year!

Hi reallyjazzy, :)

Have you started your professional dive training already? If so, hope it’s gong well and you’re developing your skills nicely!

We are a premier PADI 5 Star IDC Dive Centre in South East Asia – Sabah, Borneo, to be exact, and it’s one of the most beautiful and tropical destinations, as we are perfectly located within the Coral Triangle!
We offer professional scuba diving internships at our beach house on Gaya Island, which is situated just off the coast of mainland Kota Kinabalu.

Learn to Dive - PADI 5 Star Dive & Adventure Centre on Gaya Island | Diving Sabah? Dive Downbelow!

To answer your question on ‘internship vs training’, I believe internships provide you with more value in the scuba diving industry when you start searching for employment. However be careful that the dive centre does not use interns as a replacement for employees. Interns should always accompany the full time staff member and learn from them and never be asked to conduct the training alone. If a dive centre does this they are basically using interns as cheap labour, or indeed labour that are paying to work. We at Downbelow never use interns as replacement staff.

There exists a shared opinion amongst professional divers, that experience is their mode of learning the real dive lifestyle. The dive training for the PADI Divemaster course is necessary of course, and our internships include this with the additional benefits of experiencing your dive training with real life scuba diving and with real life clients. There are plenty of opportunities to experience the real dive lifestyle, which means there is no simulation to scuba diving situations.
Your experiences are what will develop you over time to become more and more confident in your professional duties of supervision and leadership, and within our 1-month PADI Divemaster internship program, your experiences at our dive operations will be very attractive to any prospective dive operator!

Professional Scuba Instructor Internship in Sabah, Borneo | Diving Sabah? Dive Downbelow!

We are on Facebook and very active, so keep updated with what we do on a daily basis to get an idea of what your experience will be like!

https://www.facebook.com/divedownbelow

Good luck with your scuba diving career, and don’t forget to have fun along the way, reallyjazzy! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom