Do all rebreathers require a bailout bottle on board ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they where reliable you would not need multiple systems to make sure they are working and backing them up when they fail.

This is still true in the case where you have solid state sensors. You will still need more than one sensor and more than one monitoring source. Nothing actually changes.

What you said isn't actually true for all rebreather designs either. Some use computer logic to determine how to run the solenoid and calculate decompression in the event of a cell failure, others don't do much at all and rely on the diver to make decisions. I would imagine these different design philosophies will continue to exist once solid state sensors are used more widely.

If the cells we are using now don't work you wouldn't see as many people doing big dives on their rebreathers without incident. I don't recall any of the recent fatality reports attributing a fataility to a malfunctioning cell (or cells).

The Navy doesnt (always) use bailout. But different kinda diving and going to OC bailout next to an acoustic mine would kill you faster than a malfunctioning CCR anyway

The Navy doesnt (always) use bailout. But different kinda diving and going to OC bailout next to an acoustic mine would kill you faster than a malfunctioning CCR anyway

One should avoid too much interest in their protocols. It'll make you question a lot of industry standards from rec CCR to commercial surface supply. 🤣

Unless something changed in the last 2 years the posidion will absolutly lock you out unless it gets serviced by a posiodon tech. A buddy had to dive oc because he let his posiodion tech cert lapse($600+) and couldn't unlock the computer.
Sadly Poseidon USA distributors decided to monetise the service tech certs. Poseidon everywhere else in the world the certs don’t lapse. If you DM me I can help your friend get a non-expiry cert off the back of the one that expired.

Are they really that bad? I personally haven’t experienced nearly enough failures to warrant replacing mine with solid state sensors that cost around 10x the price. I feel like the rate of failure is highly overstated when using cells from a reliable manufacturer.

Even if I did eventually go in that direction I couldn’t see running less than 2 or 3 cells. You’d still need to verify to which one is broken even if the rate of failure is less.

I don’t think the galvanic cells are nearly as bad as people say.
When solid state sensors break they give zero data not faulty data, so verifying which cell is cooked is very simple.

Can you give me a reason why? I'm not experiencing failures left and right like some would have you believe. I hardly even think about my cells (though I test the linearity every time, and calibrate when there is drift)

You can compare them to batteries : some are faulty out of the box. Rare, but not unheard of. To be clear, let's imagine you change all 3 cells in your rebreather. You calibrate everything and topside, everything seems fine, then after some time underwater, one will go amok giving you stupid reading. I had the case : one brand new, kept telling me my PpO2 was above 3.5 at 20 meters...

Of course, you can change the faulty cell, but it takes time and money, and when you're out on the boat for the day, or even worse abroad far from any supplier, you diving trip is basically f..... or spoilt.

You'll tell me one can always dive OC, ok, but once on the boat, your BO might not be the perfect size to fully enjoy the dive.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

003.JPG

Mine ain't usin no cells at all at the moment

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom