Do I need 2 depth gauges?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get a modular set like a Suunto 2 plus one
You can put pressure gauge, compass on the back and either computer or depth gauge on the additional slot
I have the SPG+Compass+Depth Gauge set when I teach and when I dive for fun I take out the depth gauge and replace it with a Suunto Gekko
I think Uwatec offer similar option. Definitely get a compass it will be very useful to you

I just recently got a used backup wrist computer. I only use it when I'm DM'ing, in case something ever happens to mine when I'm leading a dive. I'd hate to call a dive I'm guiding because something happens to my computer, so a backup is good insurance for that purpose. When I'm just pleasure diving, I don't bother wearing it. But I DO wear a dive watch (that I got from Wal-Mart $29) that I can refer to to see how much time I've been in the water, time my safety stop, and I can still monitor my gas usage from my console.

thanks for the responses.

I do have a compass that is retractable and it hooks to my BC. My Cressi computer is a watch style and is on my wrist. I really just want to be as streamlined as possible. This is the reason I'm asking if I need a depth gauge. If I just buy a pressure gauge I can get a small light one. If I get a pressure/depth/compass consul I'm looking a lot of weight and space, something I don't want.

Also I do mostly nice clear Caribbean water diving so I'm always with a buddy or group. I'm very comfortable in the water and really don't think I need a backup depth gauge. If my computer fails I can always abort the dive.

I have a Mares Icon HD that is yet to be air integrated. Until then, and maybe to always use as a backup pressure/depth gauge I am trying to decide between the following SPG's. Does anyone have any input on which they would choose, or additional suggestions?

Aeris MaxDepth Console;
Oceanic 200-ft Maxdepth Three Gauge Navcon SWIV Console "Metric"; or
Zeagle Slimline Co-Pilot Console.

Thanks, I appreciate the insight.

IMHO there is nothing wrong in being redundant about it. It's your dive and your safety(life), do what's best for you.

Thanks for the reply. I understand how some people don't want redundant gear to have to worry about while diving. I ended up going with a Cressi Sub 3 console as a backup. I originally bought a 2 gauge console from Divers Supply that was $40 cheaper. They notified me it was out of stock and after I inquired Divers Supply gave me the nicer 3 gauge console no charge. I have had good experience with Divers Supply and Leisure Pro thus far. I would recommend both stores.

While most likely (and hopefully) I will never need a backup for my wrist computer, if I do one day ever need it I'd rather have it than not.

Cheers,
MT

The problem with two depth gauges is that when they disagree you don't know which one is right, so you really need three.:wink:

It's not necessary, as bubbletrubble said.

However, do get in the habit of occasionally comparing what your computer says to your buddy's computer. For various reasons some computers start to give depth readings that are slightly off and when they do they usually read slightly shallower than you really are. The Suunto Cobra is known to have that problem because people don't rinse them well enough and salt gets caked on the sensor, for example. I've also seen other computers "malfunction" in this way for no apparent reason. The big point here is to keep in mind that electronic sensors are inherently less reliable than mechanical ones.

R..

Is that why my SUUNTO Vyper consistently reads about 2-3% shallower than everything else including other computers or is there some other reason. And other than account for it is there any fix?

The problem with two depth gauges is that when they disagree you don't know which one is right, so you really need three.:wink:

Just use a surface float with a tape measure attached to it to backup the two gauges.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom