Do I need 2 depth gauges?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubasteve1982

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I've been diving for about 2 years now and recently purchased my very first Regulator and Octopus. Now I'm looking into purchasing a gauge console.

I know I need tank pressure, do I need a depth gauge??

I've been renting regulator setups from dive shops when I dive and they always have tank pressure and depth gauges. I still always use my computer to watch my depth. What do you think? What do you use?

Thanks!

If you have a dive computer, it functions as both a timing device and depth gauge. There's no need to have a backup analog depth gauge.
If your computer fails, plan a controlled ascent (including safety stop) with your buddy. Simple.
Have fun with your new gear...

Hello,

I've been diving for about 2 years now and recently purchased my very first Regulator and Octopus. Now I'm looking into purchasing a gauge console.

I know I need tank pressure, do I need a depth gauge??

I've been renting regulator setups from dive shops when I dive and they always have tank pressure and depth gauges. I still always use my computer to watch my depth. What do you think? What do you use?

Thanks!

It's not necessary, as bubbletrubble said.

However, do get in the habit of occasionally comparing what your computer says to your buddy's computer. For various reasons some computers start to give depth readings that are slightly off and when they do they usually read slightly shallower than you really are. The Suunto Cobra is known to have that problem because people don't rinse them well enough and salt gets caked on the sensor, for example. I've also seen other computers "malfunction" in this way for no apparent reason. The big point here is to keep in mind that electronic sensors are inherently less reliable than mechanical ones.

R..

Great info. I pretty much thought that it would be fine to only have my computer. Just wanted some options. Thanks

At your stage a second depth/time recorder is not needed as said above.

The major reason I have seen computers fail is dead batteries. So, if you do use a computer, make sure that you get one with a user replacable battery and then replace that battery at least once per year. If you chose a hoseless computer, change the batteries in the wrist mount and the sending unit at the same time. On trips, take a extra - fresh battery(s) with you.

The second reason I have seen computers fail is that they get lost on the dive. A Hose mounted computer are not apt to get lost, but make sure that the swivel gets maintained at the same time as the regulators yearly. You would be surprised at the percent of times a yearly will not include the SPG/Computer swivel. I have watched a computer "blown" off a hose once or twice. But proper maintainance will prevent all of this.

Last a wrist mount computer can slip off, make sure that you have a good strap system (I like bungie systems) and if you use a wet suit, tighten it on the bottom to take up the loss in wrist diameter due to suit compression.

Then, if you move into Decompression diving, get a second computer with gauge mode if your current computer does not have it, or a bottom timer as your depth/timer backup. But, DECO should be another 100 or so dives down the road for you at this point.

Like the rest said, it not necessary but here is a slightly different take- I am assuming you are using a wrist comuter. You will likely want a compass (or at least you should have one IMO) and you have to keep it somewhere. I prefer mine on the console for no better reason than it's always there- I don't have to remember to strap it on my wrist. Since I am going to have the console, both to protect the SPG and to hold the compass, might as well fill the extra hole with something- a depth gauge. They are fairly inexpensive and if you forget the computer or it dies, you have the analog guage as a backup. Bottom line, they are fairly inexpensive, small and very reliable so why not have one in addition to your computer.

I have a old Scubapro capillary depth gauge on my wrist for backup. It's very accurate at shallow depths. I've never "needed" but it's nice to have.

Shoot even without a buddy, if your computer fails, you can still make a decent estimate of depth for a safety stop.

However, safety in SCUBA diving is often about feeling comfortable. You get out of your comfort zone and things can go bad really fast. If it would make you feel better and more confident to have a back up depth gauge get it. It isn't that big. And it doesn't cost much. It is cheap thrills.

I have a old Scubapro capillary depth gauge on my wrist for backup. It's very accurate at shallow depths. I've never "needed" but it's nice to have.

I have a collection of those including several that are an intergral part of of the SPG. Love them when diving the old regs.

I use a capillary depth gauge as a Primary for deco stops and any other gauge as backup.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom