Do I need a computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't need one, but you might like one, if for nothing else than the data logging and the ascent alarm. It was quite humbling looking at my profile to see just how fast my "slow" ascent was.

When I first started, I spent pretty much a whole summer working on really slow ascents. If I didn't have the computer, I probably wouldn't have noticed that what I thought was 30 f/m was really quite a bit faster, and needed work.

Terry

divnamite:
I'm a newbie going down to the Keys for a quick three days dive trip. The dive op doesn't rent out computer. I'm wondering, do I need a computer? I have no problem doing the dive table, but since the dives will be repeating dives?

You don't NEED a computer to dive this but when everyone else still diving you are likely to be back on the boat waiting for them. A computer is not required but man they sure are useful. I would recommend waiting until you can buy one, get familar with it and then you will see why this is one of the most useful diving tools you can have. Renting one when you have never used them before can be complicated and maybe not such a good thing.

But....you will be happy the first time you dive with one.

Need? No.
Desire, or want? yes

This situation is why they covered the dive tables in your class. You will be fine, just pay close attention to your dive planing, and the tables. Remember, surfice interval is good and waiting 1 hour or more between dives is good.

I think computers are a good idea as long as you understand what the computer is doing and what its telling you. Cause if you don't what good is it? And you'll just get hurt.

you'll see it a 1000 times ... Plan your dive Dive your plan. thats with or with out a computer.

sunglasshut is selling Suunto Mosquito's for $225.

At that point, is there really a reason to not have a computer??

As far as new divers using computers, if you're diving non-square profiles I'd recommend owning one no matter what the experience level. Just my $0.02 :)

Bjorn

Just be aware if your computer is conservative or allows table limits and dive accordingly. Some computer dont leave much margin for air. And always carry a backup depth gauge and bottom timer.

midwayman:
Just be aware if your computer is conservative or allows table limits and dive accordingly. Some computer dont leave much margin for air. And always carry a backup depth gauge and bottom timer.

What?? Good idea but I certainly don't think a backup depth guage and bottom timer is required unless the computer is not air integrated. I do wear a watch for back up but the fact of the matter is, if my computer fails, that is the end of the dive. This has never happened but if/when it does, it simply means that I will terminate the dive.

Many computers track your air consuption as well as your depth/time/tables/etc. The 2 most important things for me is air and time. I never want to be short of either but I am also not going to carry redundant guages on me (my preference).

Not having backup gauges is lunacy. If the computer craps out and you dont have any, how long have you been down? What depth are you at? What is your ascent rate? How do you know what depth to stop at to do a deco and/or safety stop? With no instruments at all youve got no chance. If its air integrated as well (these things really do strike me as pointless) in addition to now knowing where you are, what you have to do and where to do it you also have the added bonus of not knowing if you have enough gas to do whats needed either.

Computers are electronic, they can flood, can randomly break and batteries can run out.

Exactly string. After having one computer going down on me, I cant see doing down without at least redundant SPG and Depth gauges. Not having those is dangerous IMHO.

Also what happens if you are diving computer exclusively and it does down on day 1 in a 7 day trip? If you dont have redundant gauges you may end up sitting out a lot of dives.

Your dives, if restricted to the corral, will be square profile and shallow (less than 60 feet). All you need is a depth gauge on your consol, your dive tables, and an underwater wrist watch. I like the Timex Ironman, it's rated to 200 meters (over 600 feet) and I've had mine down to 235 feet without problems. Costs less than $40.00 and doubles as a backup timer if and when you get a computer.

Dive the tables, save your money and have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom