Do I need a dive light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gedmondson

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all. I will be undergoing my OW certification next month. I intend to dive primarily warm, tropical waters (carribean), but also hope to dive my native Oregon coast, rivers and lakes. Will I need a dive light? If so, will a small, BC pocket version suffice? Thanks for your input!

Gary

As long as you only plan to dive daytime, OW-level dives, no you dont need a light.
However, although you dont really NEED it, its handy to have available. I never dive without at the least my UK MiniQ4 backup light (4 AA battery LED light) as it dont really take much space and it gives me the possibility to shine some light under stuff id like to have a look at.
If you plan to do night dives (which is more training, which will cover the light issue as well) you definetly need not one, but two lights minimum and the primary should be fairly large, atleast 4 D-cell..

You probably dont need to worry about getting one until after you are certified. But having said that I have had at least a small light on a retractor in my BC since I bought it. I can tell you from experience that there are sites on the Oregon Coast, such as Waldport, where it seems that the lights go out when you drop below about 20 ft. So it is nice to have some sort of light. If you plan to never, or rarely dive at night, then I wouldnt spend the $$ on an expensive light. You can usually rent a light at most dive shops and resorts for that occasional night dive. Hope this helps.

On a side note.... where in Oregon are you?

Steve

Even in well lit tropical diving I find a nice pocket size light to be great for looking under reef-ledges and critter huntin' in the nooks and crannies. You can get a decent little light from Princetone, UK or just about anyone for about $20 US. You can put it in a pocket or attach a ss slide bolt to it and clip it to a D-ring.

I'd make that the last thing I bought with the rather large investment already ahead of you getting into diving. I really like the UK lights for the money, but everyone is going to have their own opinion, find a dive shop with several and see which fits your wants.

I always have a light with me when I dive. There always seems to be some overhang, hole or crevice that begs to be looked at( even in the daytime). You can always use your "dive light" for dry land,too. Good diving!

A cheap small one is fine, just in case you float off in the high sea, it is good signal device at night. Along with a small SMB that fits in your BC pocket. More expensive little LED ones can last 12 hours of continous burn.... But do not put out much light.

As your diving skill gets better, and you start to focus on looking for sharks and fish, they are nice to peep under the rocks for creatures, even during the day time. But that is likely at least 30 to 40 dives later.

Once the decision is made to do lots of night dives, then you can look to spend a few hundred bucks to $2000 for a canister light, or less than $100 for a hand held torch.

No matter where or when you dive, you can't know when you will need or wish you had a light. You can certainly dive without one, but there are times before, during or after a dive when I've been happy I had a snall light on me. Sort of like a small knife; you don't often need it, but when you do you are awfully glad you have it!

Right now, you do not need a light, but having very small one can be handy, and can be usefull in signaling (all as others have pointed out)
I would not spend a lot of money right now on a small light and in fact I also have the Underwater Kinetics MiniQ40 (not LED) and it puts out a surprising amount of light, is inexpensive, and tiny enough to always carry .. UK Q-40 Light, Dive Lights, Underwater Kinetics, UK Q-40 Light .. not that this is the only option, just posting it so you can see that you don't have to spend a lot to get a light that others have been happy with

I never dive without a light.
As colour disappears at depth its always nice to have something to illuminate it.
Also its added safety

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom