Do I need Macro Lens for C5050?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divemonkey:
The Super Macro function as I understand it gives you the ability to focus faster in macro
What's your secret to fast? I have a hard time with the two button combo that is required for setting the distance. No where near fast.

ngsway,
I'll toss another factor into you decision making process:

If not already in your possession I would buy a Wide Angle Lens long before a macro lens. Your camera can already take macro shots but it can't take wide angle shots. Even without an external strobe you can get some great shots with the WAL.

lanwu:
I see you use the INON PCU-01 macro converter....any comments on the advantages over the older models: UCL-165 & UCL-330?? ...since it's recommended by Olympus?

I have the UN PCU-01 macro adaptor. It is very similar in magnification to the INON UCL-165 (the PCU has a tad more magnification). They're both very good pieces of glass. The Inon is 'chunkier' and has the advantage that you can stack another one on top because it has threads in the front.

I agree with Gilligan. I would buy a WAL before a macro lens.

You can stack Inon UCL165 as well. Basically I like to use stacked macro lenses instead of super macro because I will then have the full use to the zoom rather than fixed lens as in the super macro mode on the C5050.
One macro lens will let you focus down to 4 inches instead of 8 inches with a little more magnification. Two macro lenses will let you get even closer with more magnification. I hardly ever used the supermacro mode with the C5050 now.

Can the INON macro lenses be mixed stacked? ie. mix the INON UCL-330's with the INON UCL-165's?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom