Do I need to use the FO cable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amajamar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got my new YS27-DX!!

Do I need to use the FO cable and mask, or can I just let the strobe fire with the camera flash. It seems to work OK around the house.

Any ideas for my?

I have the Canon A620 and Canon housing.

Thanks.

You don't have to use the F/O cable. Your strobe could well trigger, most of the time, without it.

However, if you pull your strobe back or push it forwards to a point where the camera's internal flash is blocked or too weak, then your strobe won't trigger. You may not even notice the problem until you surface, because you will see the internal camera flash going off.

Also, keep in mind, that by leaving your internal strobe unmasked, it will be shooting light directly out in front of the camera, nicely illuminating all the stuff floating between you and your subject.

If you are among a group of photographers, your unmasked strobe could well be triggered by other peoples' strobes. This is sometimes a plus if you are posing for someone, a bother if you miss a shot because your strobe went off at the wrong moment.

Finally, you can set your camera strobe to its lowest setting, yet still reliably trigger the external strobe with a F/O cable, thus saving battery power.

Wow! Great points to consider.

I hadn't thought of any one of them...:11doh:

I guess I've got lots to learn...!!

Thank you!!

I own the YS27DX. I wouldn't dive without the FO cable. Because the sensor is placed back in the housing it doesn't fire reliably without the cable. The wierd part is that it works fine without the cable around the house. Then when you dive it will not always fire. I learned this the hard way.

Couldn't have said it any better than gert. But to add on to Gary's point, it doesn't take much water to diminish the light from the triggering flash when it has to travel through water compared to air. There can be a pretty significant difference.

You might try, HeinrichsWeikamp GbR. Your A620 was listed but not the YS 27dx. Worth a shot and I like it better the fiber optics.

YS27DX is only fired via optics. Its sensor is somewhat recessed so a cable is almost a necessity. As for hardwired versus optics....I think each has good points and bad. .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom