Do I need visual in order to get fill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfigaro

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just mailordered two new cylinders and valves. The cylinders come with a label which says they were hydroed by the manufacturer. The stamps on the cylinders state they were manufactured in Feb 08. Do I need a visual in order to get these cylinders filled or are they good until Feb 09?

No viz sticker means no fill. That is one of the catches to buying a tank online. I always ask for a VIP sticker and then whip a few PSI to pass as not empty.

They will be shipped empty and probably with the valve off and a plug. I would look inside before putting the valve or filling. Water or just moisture could have gotten in.

Most shops will require a visual. It is good practice.

If it has a sticker, you could do it yourself.

I have always done all my own visuals. Just recently I did get a PSI certification.

Vis sticker is required only if you get fills from a shop that requires stickers, which is to say, most shops.

If you have your own compressor, no vis sticker is necessary.

The requal or in this case qual test aka a hydro includes a visual inspection. However, most dive shops do not recognize this visual inspection. In some cases, it is warranted others it is not. Between the test and delivery anything can happen. Many mail order outfits will put a visual sticker on them before they are sent. But even with this if you bring an empty cylinder in for a fill the shop will probably require a new inspection. Especially if they realize that you bought it mail order instead of from them.

They way to get around the empty cylinder, as mentioned is to trans fill it so there is some gas in it. Few people have whips so the poor man's way is to hold two valves face to face,open the empty cylinder then the full cylinder. This will force a bit of gas into the empty cylinder. Close the empty cylinder, then the full cylinder.

BTW UPS will ship cylinders with 40psi in them so ask the mail order place if they can ship them that way.

The shops I have delt with do not require a vis on new tanks, but it really depends on how well you know your LDS owner.

I just mailordered two new cylinders and valves. The cylinders come with a label which says they were hydroed by the manufacturer. The stamps on the cylinders state they were manufactured in Feb 08. Do I need a visual in order to get these cylinders filled or are they good until Feb 09?

I was never so happy to get my training from PSI. It opened up a world for me to take care of myself and my gear. The VIZ is quick and painless. I hope all of your tanks are good to go.

Back
Top Bottom