do I panic now...or later?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtdivegirl

Contributor
Reaction score
The other night in my OW class the instructor was discussing our open water dives (which will be in a rather chilly lake) he made the comment that "they will do the best they can to get everyone in wetsuits." I feel that this comment was aimed at me. I am not a small girl, well over 200 pounds. Before the class even started I called to make sure that they could accomodate a girl needing a 3x or larger.
During our confined water dives I have had the appropriate size bc available to me and it fits alright considering it was made for man. But, I don't have the money to buy a wetsuit. I realize scuba isnt a cheap sport and I don't plan on skimping on it in the future, but right now I just need my cert and to get a few dives under my belt. So my question....do i panic now that they wont be able to get me in a wet suit and face humiliation..or do i just wait and see?
Did anyone else have this problem during their cert dives?;-0

...just call them up and check. Either they can provide a wetsuit or they can't. If they can't, are there other dive shops that might be able to help?

How cold is 'rather chilly'?

Zept

"Face humiliation"?? ABSOLUTELY NOT. First, do what Zept says. In the bad case scenario, if they do not have a rental suit your size, you'll be able to find it either at another local dive shop, or somewhere nearby. 200+ is not out of the average diver spectrum in this country. Let us know how it goes.
DSAO
clam26

mtdivegirl,

The best thing for you to do is go to the shop ahead of time, (sometime when you are not in a rush is best) and try on rental wetsuits until you find something that fits, or find out that they don't have anything, at which point you can go to other shops. Your shop will most likely have something you can wear, even if it doesn't fit perfectly.

If you will be using two-piece wetsuits, you may find that using one piece from one size of suit with the other piece from a different sized suit may work best, especially if you are trying on men's suits. I am a difficult size to fit, because I am oddly proportioned. When I did my open water cert class, I used a size L farmer jane with a size XL jacket. Also, it's OK if the suit isn't exactly the way you'd like it to fit. Because of the way I am built, there was no way to get a suit around my middle that wasn't way too long in the arms and legs. It would have been nice if the arms and legs weren't so long on me, but it certainly didn't stop me from diving. Later, when you have the money to get your own suit, you can shop until you find one that fits you (check other threads in this forum for suggestions) or you can order a custom suit.

Lastly, if your shop has a small stock of rental suits, and really doesn't have anything you can wear, the shop may just rent one from somewhere else for you to wear. My LDS is very small, and one time they had a class with a couple of guys who were bigger than their biggest wetsuits, and so the LDS rented a couple of bigger ones from another LDS in the next town over.

Definitely go in and try them on in person before-hand, so that if you or they need to find another wetsuit elsewhere, there is time to do it. Also, you probably don't want to take their word for it that they will have suits that fit you. Go in and try them on, then you'll know for sure.

At any rate, there's no reason to panic. Plenty of people of many sizes and shapes have been diving in wetsuits. You are not the first person, or even the first woman, weighing over 200 lbs to need a wetsuit for diving.

Hope this helps! Dive safe, and have a great time!

You've already got a handful of excellent suggestions above....I'm curious, though about one thing. You wrote:

"Before the class even started I called to make sure that they could accomodate a girl needing a 3x or larger."

What did the shop say? That they could fit you? If so, they have a responsibility to fit you, or to help you find a suit elsewhere....If they said they could fit you, then don't -- well, it might appear that they were more interested in getting your money than in getting you certified.

Good luck!

Definitely go before hand!!!

.... the fact that you called before hand was an excellent move -- A 3X to the dive industry is not necessarily the same as a 3X to a plus size woman... (I wear a woman's 28 so I understand this problem)

Check out the posts on plus size women divers for some extra support... and feel free to pm me if you would like to chat one on one about this.

Liz

Yes, Liz has offered me compassion & nutz-n-bolts advice that helped, but I can only offer this: When ur ready to buy, investigate whether Henderson makes their hyperstretch in a ladies' 3XL.

I, too have endured the humiliation of being singled out for being a non-standard size, & guess what? Most of the mermaids I see on the boats & beaches around here are size 16 & up! So why are we "non-standard?" Seems like we ARE the standard. I spent so much $$$ on a custom suit because I could not face going into the shop & having yet another dive-industry employee "be frank" about my weight (like I had never noticed it!) It was 2-pc 7mm, a floating foam sarcophagus. When it got stolen, the Hyperstretch had just come out. It hugs every contour as if it was made for me. And it's relatively inexpensive!!!!

I know that it is embarrassing to have instructors point out differences in weight-belt, etc. for us plus-size gals, but once we are in the water, our weight does not really work against us. Maybe that is why there are so darn many of us who stay in the sport; kick your laps to make your legs strong & healthy, & try not to let shame keep you from moving forward.
:)

Ooh, I know you aren't ready to buy but I just tried on the Henderson Hyperstretch this weekend and I am in love!! I usually get stuffed into those wetsuit "tubes" and I feel like the Staypuff Marshamallow Man from Ghostbusters! The Hyperstretch was perfect, probably the next best thing to custom.

Don't know if this helps or not but the size was a 14 and I regularly wear a 22 or so.

astrl

Thanks for the kind words art chick...

I also had a couple of other thoughts....

First, there is no reason to be ashamed (I know, we all feel whatever we're gonna feel) -- but, try, if you can to recognize that your body has served you pretty well... (whatever your story is) -- it has gotten you this far... it carries you back and forth to all of your different daily activities... and it has been there with all of your achievements... it has done wonderful things like learning to walk and swim -- it has protected you in many situations -- it has shown remarkable abilities to heal itself... your body is a wonder... not a shame!!! and.. don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise!!!

OK, off the soapbox for now....

Another thought - many of us well insulated folks don't need quite as much thermal protection as others... so, some of you have heard my experience using leggings and a light weight jacket instead of a 3 - 5 mil wet suit .... My point is, that as the wet suit gets thicker, even the stretchy ones get less stretchy and the fit is more challenging. So, give some thought to what isthe lightest weight suit you need.

I would also agree with art chick that "hyper stretch " is a good possibility I think there may be other varieties besides Henderson (maybe a different name, but similar fabric)-- I know that I (at a women's 28) can fit into a men's 3XL hyperstretch -- it doesn't fit quite right but it is workable....

My Liquid Fit custom hyper stretch has been well worth the investment.

And, mtdivegirl, if all else fails -- finish your pool and classroom and join us (Big Adventures) with a refferral in Hawaii for your certification dives!

Liz

You have relieved some of my fears. I wish I could do my open water dives in hawaii for my cert but I would rather get them done and go to hawaii and have a good time already knowing and having mostly mastered most of my skills.
A size 28 women's and you are wearing a size 14 wetsuit? The industry must want to put smiles on our faces! I am around the same size as you.
As for the temp of the water...I have heard the surface temp is around 60-65 in august. No clue what the temp will be at depth.

Back
Top Bottom