Do I really need Oxygen compatible grease to assemble the loop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of camera, strobe, and housing O-rings are silicone. For camera gear I only use tribolube. For my KISS rebreather (aside from the 1st stages), I only use silicone.
I use TriboGel from aerospace lubricants. It works well and I get it for free.

just as a remind for silicone lovers in oxygen loop:
Silicone oil (Polydimethylsiloxane) is not highly inflammable, but anyway combustible thing.
In the oxygen environment even brass can burn:
1664184205920.png

I just use o2 lube on absolute everything. I have a serious hatred for silicone, and I just don’t see a need for me to have both on hand.

I am curious to know what bad experiences you have had with the stuff through.

just as a remind for silicone lovers in oxygen loop:
Silicone oil (Polydimethylsiloxane) is not highly inflammable, but anyway combustible thing.
In the oxygen environment even brass can burn:
View attachment 745529
The pressure is too low. Industry standards would not consider it an "oxygen safe environment".
I would not advocate for unsafe practices and if you like, by all means use O2 compatible grease wherever you like but don't confuse the fitting in the picture with a rebreather loop, they are not the same.

I just use o2 lube on absolute everything. I have a serious hatred for silicone, and I just don’t see a need for me to have both on hand.

I am curious to know what bad experiences you have had with the stuff through.

My instruction was to use it, I did for a while.(probaly 30 builds) After KISS loop connecter o-rings (2) that hold no pressure whatsoever failing (horribly) from assembly, I'm not convinced it preforms well enough for something that gets assembled and disassembled regularly. The product I use would probably seal without the o-rings and makes everything go together much more smoothly.

My instruction was to use it, I did for a while.(probaly 30 builds) After KISS loop connecter o-rings (2) that hold no pressure whatsoever failing (horribly) from assembly, I'm not convinced it preforms well enough for something that gets assembled and disassembled regularly. The product I use would probably seal without the o-rings and makes everything go together much more smoothly.
I have generally used silicone (dow molykote 111) on my KISS rebreather loop, head, lungs, etc. Other divers I know used tribolube. When I looked at their rigs as they set up next to me, they were caked in dry white residue all over the lubricated interfaces. It was a mess and looked to me like it might cause problems. Now I don't know if they are slobs and never cleaned anything, used way too much lube, or what. I don't ever see residue on my camera gear that only gets tribolube, but I just tiny amounts and wipe everything down before resealing.

Long thread short, rubber oring in your rebreather loop work just fine with silicone. Add bonus is that molykote is thicker and might seal better than tribolube.

Back
Top Bottom