Do NOT Touch! Just Venting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDI

Artificer of Havoc & Kaos
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
There has been an increase in the amount of gear which has gone missing at some of the local cave systems here in Florida. Deco cylinders and reels from the water, to full set ups from the staging areas. Believing that this sort of BS act will continue I encourage divers to be vigilant in protecting their investments. However the real concern that has me and I am sure most of the cave diving community p*#@'d off is when this gear goes missing from the water when the cave dive team is conducting their dive. Recent events suggest that even reels have been removed from jumps and gaps within the cave system putting the dive team at a potential of great risk.In addition to reels things such as O2 bottles and deco bottles have disappeared while a dive team is in the system only to discover a lacking gas supply to complete a required deco obligation, again a heightened risk.

In short if it isn't yours, If you didn't place it in the system THEN DON"T TOUCH IT.
This kind of action doesn't place well within the diving community

I'm not a cave diver - just wrecks, but I was asking a caver friend of mine about this the other day. I tend to distrust people I don't know, and since I'm interested in cave diving in the future, I asked her about whether this stuff happens. She told me that there is an unwritten rule and understanding in the cave community that this can lead to death. That made sense to me, but now I read this. I can't imagine coming back to your deco obligation to find your tanks gone. These people should be caught and convicted of premeditated attempted murder. They know this equipment is life support gear and they still choose to take it.

As a new Cavern, soon to be Intro Cave certified diver I must say that this type of crap scares me far more than the cave does. I just don't understand what is going through people's minds when they do this.

Is this other cave divers taking the equipment? If it is in the system then I would think it is and the of all people they should know better. Or is the equipment in a location where non cave divers can get to it.

What freakin idiots.

Oh wouldn't you love to catch them

Al Mialkovsky:
What freakin idiots.

Oh wouldn't you love to catch them

Only if I could introduce them to the business end of a Glock.

:bigun2: I think I'd leave someone on the dive boat. . .

Wooow. That's a new low. I find it very difficult to believe that people will sink to that.
It's like unplugging someone's life support just for the hell of it. I would think that would be a jailable offense.

cdiver2:
Is this other cave divers taking the equipment? If it is in the system then I would think it is and the of all people they should know better. Or is the equipment in a location where non cave divers can get to it.
I have heard (and seen the after effects - anger only, no injury thankfully) of stuff being taken from the open areas, picnic benches, and floating in the OW area whilst other gear is ferried down to the entrance. I havent heard of stuff being taken that was "well" hidden in the cave system or reels being wound up that are attached to the main line, that is bad news. There was that talk on "snap n gap" lines being part of the cause of Cenote deaths recently, that sounds like a dangerous line management issue and is something else altogether. However a good working knowledge of the layout of the cave system, plenty of backgas and proceedures for finding cut lines (such as that leading to the entrance of cut main line) as well as deco on backgas in case of lost deco gas are all things learnt through cave training courses, so at least people have a fighting chance should these idiots do such things.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom