Do people actually dive in the UK or is it myth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InTheDrink

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Since June of last year I have put my name down for a boat dive out pretty much every non-dry diving week (where I was around). All bar one was cancelled because of the weather. The last 3 weeks the dive was cancelled and I'm getting frustrated. I'm a little at the mercy of going with a boat or an organised trip as I don't drive and don't have tanks but this really isn't working out for me. Have I just been very unlucky (I know last year was uber-**** weather all round) or is trying to dive in this manner just not going to work out regularly and I need to find a local bud or something scary like that :) ?

Just take the ferry and come overhere,we dive yearround.:D
Not by boat they're allways canceled due to wind,rain or whatever.
Seems (some)divers get seasick on the north sea.:shocked:

Yes, I can confirm that folks dive in the UK, I was able to dive Weymouth on a buiness trip in 2004.......

I lugged all my gear including drysuit to the UK and actually got on a dive boat with 2 other crazy folks and did the dives.......

The dive inside the harbor was OK the dive outside the harbor was the worst dive I have ever had in my life........no vis, got separated from the others (my fault), shot a DSMB and went to surface, where there were 2-3 meter waves.......

The waves were huge as we went back to the harbor, it was like a roller coaster ride.....

But I logged two more dives and the pub beer and food was great when we got back to the guest house.........:)

Brits are great to dive with, friendly, well trained (BASC sees to that) and welcomed me with open arms as a yankee solo "right keen to dive" diver.......

What a great memory.............

On day I want to dive Scapa......

M

Just take the ferry and come overhere,we dive yearround.:D
Not by boat they're allways canceled due to wind,rain or whatever.
Seems (some)divers get seasick on the north sea.:shocked:

The girls there are nicer too so you're on.

Glad to see boats are canned there too tho. Maybe it's a boats thing. Pier diving the way forward. I need a new pair of boots anyway...

:)

J

Hey J.

Just come over,I sell you a pair of boots.:rofl3:
But we can have a lot of fun and good dives aswell.

Hey You owe me :D,so come over and dive.Guess we can get some others to join in aswell.:rofl4:

Since June of last year I have put my name down for a boat dive out pretty much every non-dry diving week (where I was around). All bar one was cancelled because of the weather. The last 3 weeks the dive was cancelled and I'm getting frustrated. I'm a little at the mercy of going with a boat or an organised trip as I don't drive and don't have tanks but this really isn't working out for me. Have I just been very unlucky (I know last year was uber-**** weather all round) or is trying to dive in this manner just not going to work out regularly and I need to find a local bud or something scary like that :) ?

You've just been unlucky, there's plenty of diving going on, though it's definitely worth buying your own cylinders why not look up Brighton bsac, they've got boats based in Brighton and as far as I know dive midweek as well

flw - thanks for the response. Reassuring to know it's just poor luck. Was thinking about the tanks but haven';t worked out how I'd lug them around on my bike. But I've carried every other goddam thing else on my bike so why not tanks. That's my SB challenge sorted so. Of course I could just learn to drive but that seems like a LOT of work. I'm 36 i.e. more than half way there so it hardly seems worth the effort.

I've been toying with the BSAC thing for ages but it's a bit of a trek to where they meet up. Bit of crap excuse really. I'll force my lazy arse into action and head down soon. SB challenge #2

300Bar, your offer is very tempting but I'm not forgetting the dark undertones from your last PM, the enactment of which would only be achievable with me physically present. I will be warning NetDoc in advance to treat any prolonged silences from me with extreme prejudice and to contact the relevant authoritues.

I'll probably pop over for a weekend in July or August. I'll be the one wearing a trilby and chewing nicotine replacment lozenges. Jeez, Chandler would have had his work cut out in the 21st century. Where in The Netherlands are you?

Jorgy - haven' thanked you yet. I've been working through my feelings of resentment that you managed on a business trip what I can't living here. It is kind of throwing it back in my face, no? :) Anyhow, my therapist says it's all perfectly normal and I should just go ahead and say thanks. So thanks. :)

And now if you please, I have a hangover to nurse. Enjoy.

My apologies for upsetting you.......

I can say it took many e-mails to setup.......

Then it was on - off - on agian - then maybe - then off - then on

Then there were 2 boats each with 6 divers, then one boat, finally 5 divers at the pier, two of which talked to the boat captian and never unloaded their gear from thier car......

So three went out........

I am 100% confirdent you will dive soon............:)

If you ever have a chance dive Spain's Costa Brave and Illes Meders (near L'Estartit) it is brilliant...........

M

Hey Jorgy,

I'm actually going to Santa Cristina D'aro near Girona this week. Google maps tells me Illes Meders is right by there. I promised my wife no diving (family holiday) but sounds like I need to be flexible :)

What's so nice about the diving there? And equally importantly, is there anywhere I could snorkel with the kids? Thinking about going up in the morning, get a dive in, then snorkel with the kids in the afternoon. It just CAN'T be coincidence that you randomly mention a place in Spain that I'm going to be within spitting distance of in 4 days. I don't believe in fate but come on! (at least that's what my line to my wife is gonna be :) )

Any follow up info on the place would be really brill. Thanks!

J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom