do salespeople at LDS' receive commissions on sales?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

or then again, it could be the Hooters girls standing on the side of the highway in bikinis, waving people in. I was planning to stop by and take a look this year.

LOL -- I guess the question is WHAT you were planning to stop by and look at..... ;-)

It sounds like you've already done a bunch of research on gear and have narrowed your choices down to a few specific brands/models.

My guess is that the great prices you'll see at this "sale" will be for gear that isn't exactly what you're looking for. It may be close, but not the same.

I guess you'll have to weigh how important it is to have EXACTLY what you want and whether the "deal" you're getting is for gear that you'll be happy with for several years (vs. having to be replaced).

I tend to take a long time to select new gear, but once I've picked out what I want, I have a hard time settling for something that I perceive as "less". This probably ends up costing me more $$$, but I think it makes me happier in the long run, since I end up with gear I am satisfied with.

Perhaps you can contact the shop this week to get an idea of what gear brands/models they will have on sale. It will also help to have a good idea of what prices the gear you are looking for regularly sells at (gather this data from your shop and other shops)....helping you to understand how good a "deal" this sale really is.

Regarding passing up deals that are too good to be true -- most shops here in the Boston area have "return if not satisfied for full credit" policies. I would check this out with your shop -- so even if you're not happy with the stuff you bought during the sale, you can trade it in for a different model. Also, you might want to look at what other gear they sell.....so that if you buy sale gear and it doesn't work out, they have other gear choices you would be happy with.

Sorry for the brain dump -- hope this helps.

Re asking about the return/exchange policy of gear at the LDS -

Several people have said that their LDS will exchange gear if it doesn't work/meet their needs.

I can only surmise that the only way to figure this out is to actually dive with it. However, once you dive with it, I would figure that it's considered to be used, and then what does the LDS do with it? Add it to their rental gear? Resell it at a discount?
How does the LDS absorb this cost?

I have read on various other threads that the LDS makes their money by selling gear primarily, but with such a generous return/exchange policy, how do they make money?

I wouldn't have thought to ask about such a policy - I would've have been afraid that I'd be laughed out of the store, my C-card being thrown after me on the way out. :D

I work for 1 of the largest dive operations on the east coast, we have 9 stores in 3 states, as well as a mail order, and online ordering. None of the employees are allowed commission on any sale. My take on it from what I've heard from the owner is, that he doesnt want his people pushing gear people dont need and he doesnt like pushy salespeople.

Originally posted by chepar
Re asking about the return/exchange policy of gear at the LDS -

Several people have said that their LDS will exchange gear if it doesn't work/meet their needs.

I can only surmise that the only way to figure this out is to actually dive with it. However, once you dive with it, I would figure that it's considered to be used, and then what does the LDS do with it? Add it to their rental gear? Resell it at a discount?
How does the LDS absorb this cost?

There is a shop around here that has prices about 10% higher than most and use such a policy, so if they knock off 10% and sell it as slightly used.

Chepar,

Our shop has sales like that. The $50.00 BCs are probably old rental BCs that the shop has replaced. They are not pretty, probably sun-faded, and definitely NOT high end (all the bells and whistles) but they work. Our shop sells their old rentals fully serviced with a store warrenty (either 1 month or 3 months..depending on the price) so if anything goes wrong, the store will fix it. They are good for a backup BC..or for someone that dives alot, but isn't sure what they want. Don't know what it costs to rent BCs in Hawaii, but here it is $5.00. So after 10 dives, you get your money back.

40% off the retail price is a VERY good deal. See what brands they stock. If you are interested in something they don't stock, see if you can get it ordered special for you at the same discount. If they are able to purchase from that manufacturer, they will probably be willing to do a special order. But, if they are not a "dealer" of that line, they may not.

Hope this helps!

The dive shop I work at we do not .I do not think that would be good for the customer at all! (alot of $50 snorkels would be sold).....:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom