Do you actually see people diving with pony bottles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You must be joking
We required it for solo divers, and I've never met a diver from Jersey anyone wanted to dive with.

(That's a joke, son. Mostly)

We required it for solo divers, and I've never met a diver from Jersey anyone wanted to dive with.

(That's a joke, son. Mostly)
Solo divers I understand, but I have never dived anywhere that required it of all divers. Guess Jersey boats are off my list - doesn't sound like a very friendly dive environment

Solo divers I understand, but I have never dived anywhere that required it of all divers. Guess Jersey boats are off my list - doesn't sound like a very friendly dive environment
It certainly isn't like diving anywhere else in the world. A New Jersey boat captain will look for reasons to kick you off his boat. That's less of a joke than the one before. But New Jersey wouldn't be a diving destination anywhere else in the world either. It just insn't like other places.

Reminds me of when I started diving.
We used to smuggle O2 kits onto the charter boats because the skippers banned them - because they thought the boat would explode!
Later, when we started using Nitrox, none of the cylinders where marked - because the skippers banned Nitrox -because it was to dangerous for amateurs to use!
It's not the gas I mind, it's the haphazard way of diving I've seen. Some, including the diver in question relax their precautions when they know there is a backup. I'd rather that he surface before running out of air. It makes things easier for all concerned.

Solo divers I understand, but I have never dived anywhere that required it of all divers. ...
Don't know what is written, but you just need redundancy. Pony or doubles, you pick.

...//... Guess Jersey boats are off my list - doesn't sound like a very friendly dive environment
Don't deny yourself a good time in green water. I've been off boats for a couple of years for medical reasons, can't wait to get back.

I doubt that anything has changed. The boats are a lot friendlier than you may think, just don't expect huggy-kissy. Listen to the cap, don't spread your stuff everywhere, and be ready when 'The pool is open'. You'll be asked a run-time and you better be back early or on time if you ever want to see that boat again.

Boat schedules are posted and they fill up with regulars rather quickly so there is no guarantee you can get a seat. In addition, be prepared for a change of venue. All hunters on board, the cap is likely going to be talked into a better hunting site. Probably a reefed vessel, I like wrecks. Just go with it.

Word gets around, once you are known as a 'solid' diver everything opens up. Ignore the 'shoulder bumping' between boats. All boat captains talk, don't let anyone tell you differently.

Don't know what is written, but you just need redundancy. Pony or doubles, you pick.

Don't deny yourself a good time in green water. I've been off boats for a couple of years for medical reasons, can't wait to get back.

I doubt that anything has changed. The boats are a lot friendlier than you may think, just don't expect huggy-kissy. Listen to the cap, don't spread your stuff everywhere, and be ready when 'The pool is open'. You'll be asked a run-time and you better be back early or on time if you ever want to see that boat again.

Boat schedules are posted and they fill up with regulars rather quickly so there is no guarantee you can get a seat. In addition, be prepared for a change of venue. All hunters on board, the cap is likely going to be talked into a better hunting site. Just go with it.

Word gets around, once you are known as a 'solid' diver everything opens up. Ignore the 'shoulder bumping' between boats. All boat captains talk, don't let anyone tell you differently.
I've done way more green water, whether salt or fresh, than blue water, I'm good with that. As I am with poor vis, dive boats as no-frills, no hand-holding taxis. I keep my gear contained on the boat and I am usually one of the first geared up. I'm good with last minute site changes. I am good with keeping to the plan - including time in the water. But I will never dive doubles and I fail to see why slinging my 40 should be an every dive kind of affair.

Is their concern really redundancy, or is it having enough gas? Why is scuba gear more likely to fail off the coast of New Jersey than elsewhere? If the concern is that NJ diving is deep, low-vis, etc., then that sounds more like the idea is to prod divers to ensure they have enough gas to get back.

Is their concern really redundancy, or is it having enough gas? Why is scuba gear more likely to fail off the coast of New Jersey than elsewhere? If the concern is that NJ diving is deep, low-vis, etc., then that sounds more like the idea is to prod divers to ensure they have enough gas to get back.
That's why I have 2 HP117s and a HP130, likely to add another HP130 next year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom