Do you carry a backup SPG to your AI computer? If so- check this out.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caruso

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
During my recent trip to South Florida another diver's rig got my interest. This guy had his backup SPG configured in a way that I hadn't seen before.

If you carry a full size or slightly smaller SPG and clip it off somewhere on your BCD as a backup to your air integrated wireless dive computer, and/or to check your tank pressure pre-dive, then you may find this tip to be useful.

Replace your SPG with a mini SPG as per the photos below. They range in size from 3/4 to 1", slightly larger than a nickel. Route the SPG hose alongside your BCD inflator hose using zip ties to keep them together, so they act like one large hose. This keeps them together for a more streamlined rig. It also avoids having to clip off the SPG to your BCD, saving a pre- and post- dive step, and makes it really easy to check your tank pressure on the boat without reaching behind the BCD and twisting it so you can read it, because it's right there in front of you.

The cost of the gauge was $18, the right angle HP adapter was about $15 (with shipping) and you may need a shorter HP hose. I am swapping the existing 31" hose with a 22". Going to sell my SPG on EBAY or here on SB like I do with other unneeded gear and probably come out ahead on the deal.

The third picture is from above as how the gauge would be checked during a dive.

IMG-2677.jpg
IMG-2679.jpg
IMG-2680.jpg

I don't see the need for an SPG with AI doing no stop diving, unless you're pushing recommended rec. depth limits, but just a tip... Shops sell super thin high pressure hoses that would work well for your application. I'd lose the DiveAlert and replace it with the Aquatec scuba horn. It is half the size of the DiveAlert, removing all the bulk on an inflator or Air2. It's also just as, if not more effective. Earlier this week we dove a mile long ledge, the boat lost track of us, we surfaced a half mile away and they heard it. Came and picked us up.

Routing the SPG HP hose with the BCD LP hose is well known. One of the cons to this routing is that if there is ever an issue with BCD LP inflator disconnecting and/or bending the LP hose to stem the errant flow may be impeded.

I'm with @CuzzA... I just don't see the need.

Powering up my Perdix while the boat is still tied off at the pier (just after hooking my gear up) is a good chance to check the psi on my tank, plus confirm my computer is functioning.

I'd lose the DiveAlert and replace it with the Aquatec scuba horn. It is half the size of the DiveAlert, removing all the bulk on an inflator or Air2. It's also just as, if not more effective..

Thanks, the DiveAlert IS bulky and doesn't always work underwater- it seems to fill with water or something.

Edited to add- the Aquatec horn has very mixed reviews. But for $24 I'll give it a shot. It can't be any worse than the Dive Alert and it's much smaller as you said.

....The cost of the gauge was $18, the right angle HP adapter was about $15 ...
I like the gauge and right angle and it would be great for my pony.
Can you list the website(s) for them....Thx?

I like the gauge and right angle and it would be great for my pony.
Can you list the website(s) for them....Thx?

Do you know.. I was going to list the places I got them but figured the post was long enough, so I was going to wait until somebody asked. And that's you!

Dive Gear Express for the right angle HP adapter: DGX Adapter: Mini-SPG to HP Hose, 90-Degree (includes spool)

Ebay has 3 models (that I can find) of the mini gauge, here's a screen shot from my watch list, you can search on them using the information in the picture. Note that the one in the middle is not only the most expensive but the PSI scale is very condensed compared to the others. There are also gauges available in BAR, and some have both PSI and BAR.

Capture.jpg

I just use the button gauge directly on my first stage. Handy to check the tank is full. I trust the AI transmitter, and use two receivers. If necessary, I could get my buddy to look at the button and relay the info to me.

The full size SPG I use is instantly readable to a precision more than i actually need - but a tiny Button that i stil have to have on a hose where I can see it - get real. Seems a bit dumb to go to something I have to squint at and guess what the actual pressure is when my full size guage is nominaly bigger and yeilds far more accuracy at no real penalty. I have a button SPG on my pony. Primarily to check the fill prior to a dive and make sure it's working properly and topped off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom