Do you carry a backup SPG to your AI computer? If so- check this out.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Gnarly Wrap is velcro. Just pull it off when you clean your gear. Probably not much advantage other than it looks cleaner. Though one advantage I could see is having the ability to easily separate the hoses and kink a hose should it burst and fail catastrophically. However unlikely.

I'm with @CuzzA... I just don't see the need.

Powering up my Perdix while the boat is still tied off at the pier (just after hooking my gear up) is a good chance to check the psi on my tank, plus confirm my computer is functioning.
without a backup SPG, if it's not functioning then do you still dive?

without a backup SPG, if it's not functioning then do you still dive?
Old thread, but still a question that comes up from time to time.

I bring an SPG or two in my save a dive kit. They stay dry. If, I were to find that my AI wasn't transmitting before a dive, I would swap it out for an SPG and deal with the transmitter issue later.

The need to carry both on every dive is just not there anymore, if it ever really was there. For some dives, it absolutely does make sense. For the vast majority of my dives, it doesn't. I dive mostly off of private (usually mine) boats, so if I had to swap just before a dive, it's not a big deal. Might be a different story on a charter where they are on a schedule.

But, AI transmitters today are very reliable, so in most cases a backup SPG is just not needed. I know that there are people that don't see the value of AI as they insist it's necessary to have redundancy. Yet, I never see divers with redundant SPGs. In many ways, I trust AI transmitters more than SPGs. Both can fail, but SPG failure mode can be scary. In some cases, the needle can just freeze at a previous pressure. That can mean that you think you have more gas than you do. When electronics fail, they usually do so in such a manner that there is no question that it's not working. If my transmitter were to fail, I would end the dive and head up. I usually have much more gas than the buddies I usually dive with, so would probably still do a safety stop, depending on my dive time at that point.

I don't use a backup SPG on my primary system.......but I do use a small SPG that is mounted to the 2nd stage hose of my back mounted 19cf Pony...

5wzCCzr.jpg

Old thread, but still a question that comes up from time to time.

I bring an SPG or two in my save a dive kit. They stay dry. If, I were to find that my AI wasn't transmitting before a dive, I would swap it out for an SPG and deal with the transmitter issue later.

The need to carry both on every dive is just not there anymore, if it ever really was there. For some dives, it absolutely does make sense. For the vast majority of my dives, it doesn't. I dive mostly off of private (usually mine) boats, so if I had to swap just before a dive, it's not a big deal. Might be a different story on a charter where they are on a schedule.

But, AI transmitters today are very reliable, so in most cases a backup SPG is just not needed. I know that there are people that don't see the value of AI as they insist it's necessary to have redundancy. Yet, I never see divers with redundant SPGs. In many ways, I trust AI transmitters more than SPGs. Both can fail, but SPG failure mode can be scary. In some cases, the needle can just freeze at a previous pressure. That can mean that you think you have more gas than you do. When electronics fail, they usually do so in such a manner that there is no question that it's not working. If my transmitter were to fail, I would end the dive and head up. I usually have much more gas than the buddies I usually dive with, so would probably still do a safety stop, depending on my dive time at that point.

i’m looking to get an analog backup spg with depth too, so if anything dive computer related fails while underneath i can know what i need to know to safely ascend

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom