Do you carry a backup SPG to your AI computer? If so- check this out.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My newly purchased console AI computer failed after 18 dives, only the pressure reading part. My primary computer is the wrist computer, as it's more conservative. The console AI computer served as the backup computer... but once the pressure reading was wrong, having two computers didn't help. I needed a backup pressure gauge of some sort, be it SPG or another console AI computer.

Just wanted to update this thread and steer it back towards the original topic.

I ordered a shorter, thinner, Miraflex hose to replace the longer, thicker SPG- quite a difference in overall bulk - see pictures. It's like "a half a hose" if anything. When you look at that comparison picture between the gauges realize the large one isn't even a full size gauge, it's only 1 3/4" across the face and it's on a thinner than standard HP hose.

I also replaced the larger bulky DiveAlert with the Aquatec scuba horn which works much better with the mini-spg gauge, thanks to @CuzzA for suggesting that.

Also noticed that I can probably read the mini gauge simply by looking down during the dive, if needed.

IMG_2698.JPG

IMG_2708.JPG
IMG_2701.JPG
IMG_2703.JPG
IMG_2702.JPG

Just wanted to update this thread and steer it back towards the original topic.

I ordered a shorter, thinner, Miraflex hose to replace the longer, thicker SPG- quite a difference in overall bulk - see pictures. It's like "a half a hose" if anything. When you look at that comparison picture between the gauges realize the large one isn't even a full size gauge, it's only 1 3/4" across the face and it's on a thinner than standard HP hose.

I also replaced the larger bulky DiveAlert with the Aquatec scuba horn which works much better with the mini-spg gauge, thanks to @CuzzA for suggesting that.

Also noticed that I can probably read the mini gauge simply by looking down during the dive, if needed.

View attachment 523054

View attachment 523058 View attachment 523057 View attachment 523056 View attachment 523055

I like this setup and I'm probably going to do this as well in the future. I read this whole thread and all the agruments about whether it's right or not to have a SPG when you have an AI transmitter and I'm just gonna say that it really just comes down to the diver and what works for you. I had a question for Caruso, have you thought about using heavy duty small black rubber bands instead of wire ties? The reason I ask this is because with the rubber bands you'd be able to split the hoses apart if you needed to but they would be strong enough to keep them tightly together. Correct me if I'm wrong if that wouldn't work though. I'd have to try it out myself but it's just an idea I had while looking at the pictures.

Caruso, have you thought about using heavy duty small black rubber bands instead of wire ties? The reason I ask this is because with the rubber bands you'd be able to split the hoses apart if you needed to but they would be strong enough to keep them tightly together.

I've used the black rubber UV resistant rubber bands for other scuba related purposes (such as holding my foldable snorkel together, and extra security to keep an accessory pocket closed).

No reason you can't use rubber bands around the hoses. Although they're more prone to breaking over time. Wire ties can easily be snipped if the hoses need to be separated for replacement which is the only reason I can think of that you'd need to do it. I've always got extra ties in my save-a-dive kit.

I'm not seeing an advantage to those types of wraps. If anything it would add to the bulk, trap saltwater and make it difficult to inspect the hoses. If you're going to wrap them why not just use this:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 58

Back
Top Bottom