Do you carry a snorkel on every dive?

Do you carry a snorkel on every dive?

• Yes; I attach it to my mask.

Votes: 36 19.4%
  • Yes; I carry it in my buoyancy device.

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Yes; it's stored elsewhere.

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • No.

Votes: 127 68.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I need to pick a really choppy day and go swimming with a mask and snorkel, and play with stuff. The problem is that we so rarely have really choppy days in the Sound, and going swimming in a drysuit isn't much fun. :)

In a spring/cavern/cave - no
On a reef - yes, attached to my mask
In a wreck - yes, stuck in a strap on my deco tank

I throw one in the duffel for every warm water trip, but I've never used it outside of a PADI class.

Last edited:
I answered no for the reason I dont wear it on EVERY dive. I wear it when there is waves or current as it makes life a WHOLE lot easier when the waves are large enough to go over your head. If I am shore diving in a lake where current does not exist and neither do waves then I dont bring it as its more of a crutch at that point. I prefer to roll over and swim to shore on my back as this is a very relaxing way to enjoy the journey back. Plus burn off some nitrogen in a surface interval :)

I wear mine on every dive, attached to my mask. When I was inexperianced I used it frequently and am used to swimming with it in large waves but I hardly ever use it now and I find it tends to get caught up with my inflator so am considering ditching it.

I look at the surface and then make up my mind on whether or not I'm going to take a snorkel. If it's like glass then a snorkel will get in the way. If it has a couple feet worth of chop, then I'd take the snorkel with me. Yes, yes, I know that things can change in the 40-minutes to 1-hrs that I was underwater, but it's a calculated guess that I will chance. Let me repeat that: it's a calculated guess that I am willing to take. YMMV.

i used to carry one all the time but now i am old (67) and heavy (250, but still at 17% fat ). consequently i have gas issues so i ditched to snorkle to be more hydro dynamic.

I've been wearing mine on the right side of my mask for years, I'd feel naked without it. I don't snorkel when I have gear on, I use it swimming out on my back during beach dives, if there is a chop. On boat dives some people say just keep your regulator in your mouth. Thats a good way to do it, if you have air. I consider the snorkel survival gear if I drift away or the boat takes off to do a medevac.

I occasionally carry a snorkel... when I find yet another one here in the dive park. I have quite a collection now. I don't carry a personal one when I dive because they get in the way when I'm filming and I prefer surface swims on my back. However, there have been a few times when a snorkel would have been nice, but not necessary.

Back
Top Bottom