Do you dive the Whites Mk 2 undergarments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4sak3n

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I realise that people's tolerance of cold varies wildly from person to person so the following question will be difficult to answer succinctly but I'd like to ask it anyway if only to get a general idea.

What temperature ranges do you dive your WHites Mk 2 undergarments, assuming that you own, wear and dive with them, to? I'm going to be buying a Fusion in the near future and am looking at the undergarments that I will need. If you dive the Mk 2 do you use a base layer under them? If so, how much of a difference to your warmth does the base layer make?

The local waters I dive in vary from about 10 degrees Celsius (50 degrees Fahrenheit) to 16 degree Celsius (60 degrees Fahrenheit).

Many thanks for any answers you can provide.

I purchased a Fusion drysuit with the Mk 2 undergarments last November and dove with them here in Florida during the winter and spring in California. Water temp here in Florida got into the very low 50's/hight 40's (F), and Califorina is always in the 50s. After some trial and error I found that it is best to wear a long sleeve microfiber Tshrt under the dive undergarments, microfiber shorts or tights would also be good. It gets humid inside the suit and the microfiber wicks the sweat away from your body into the undergarments. I only wear the jacket of the Mk2 system on very long dives as one piece suit seems to be sufficent for 50sF. I have worn a fleece pullover, over microfiber and under one piece undergarment for a little extra insulation. I have a Pee valve installed in my suit (factory install), and could not live without it. Once I put Fusion suit on, its on until the end of dive operations for the day. Fusion suit even with undergarments has almost the same bulk as a 7MM wetsuit with a hooded vest under. At least 3 of my dive budies have Fusion suits, and they are becoming popular with FL cave divers it seems. Fusion boots are an item that seems to be an issue. I had choice of boots in suit package. Fusion boots were recommended by Whites, so I took them over rockboots. As it ends up we have removed Fusion boots, and all dive with wetsuit boots instead. Fusion boots are heavy and make putting suit on a bit more difficult. Hope this helps.

Capt. Dan Sansiveri

I am the king of the cold weenies. Nobody gets as cold as I do.

Mk1: 80 degrees plus (tropics, or in a heated pool)
Duofold + Mk1: 80 degrees plus, Bottom times of 3-4 hours
Duofold + Mk2: 72 to 80 degrees
Duofold + Mk1 + Mk2: 60 to 70 degrees
Mk3 only: 60 to 55 degrees
Duofold + Mk3: 45 to 55 degrees
Duofold + Mk3 + Mk2 vest: 35 to 45 degrees

As I said, I get cold. I don't know anybody that gets as chilled as me. The typical diver seems to have a cold tolerance about 10 degrees colder than I do.

Hope this helps!

All the best, James

When ice diving I can get by comfortably with a poly wicking layer, the MK1, MK2 john, and the MK2 vest. My feet get cold before the rest of me does.

Here’s what I wear.
55-70 - MK2 John with base layer
40-55 – MK2 John + Vest and base layer

Definitely need a base layer to keep your skin dry/warm. Not knocking the MK0 or MK1, but you should be able to find a wicking base layer for less $$$. Or try to work out a deal when you buy your Fusion.

I use the MK2 here in SoCal. I'm plenty warm down to 47 or so. Below that, I add the vest.

I use the MK2 johns in water from 45-70 comfortably. The coldest I have dove the suit is 36 degrees. Then I wear cold gear under armor pants and shirt under the MK2 johns comfortably. I have only used the coat on the surface between dives.

Went diving yesterday 01/02, water temp was 54F. Thermal long sleeve Tshirt, Mk2 long john and jacket w/o sleeves. Turned 50 ft dive at 33 min as I was getting a bit cold. Did not have on wicking underwear, which I contribute to getting cold. I agree that there are less expensive options to Mk 0 and 1. Polypro undergarments used by military are great, and civilian versions are available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom