Do you dive with a knife? How about a big knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've thought about strapping a katana to my backplate...

I have several dive knives, mostly blackie collins wenoka knives and benchmade. Most of my dive knives are larger in part because they were acquired in the era when a big knife was the norm, rather than the exception. I continue to do it today because if find the larger knives easier to handle with drysuit gloves and the simpler the release mechanism the better.

Diving is ultimately an exercise in self-expression, one of the few less regulated activities we are allowed to undertake. If I want a big knife, why should anyone care. There is an undercurrent of political correctness in this thread that I find amusing. I dive with the equipment that I choose to dive with and unless there is a local restriction it is nobody's gd business what I chose to use. if you don't like it, pony up the bucks to buy me the knife you prefer.

I was on a diveboat for five days in hawaii. I had my big knife with me because, as I mentioned above, I usually dive with insulated dry gloves in 36F water. The instructor on board took me aside and explained that most hawaiian divers dont carry knives because there is no kelp unlike the coastal areas of the west and Alaska and the environment doesn't call for one. I appreciated her observation and explained that after 30 years of diving with one, its just part of my rig. We left it at that, no judgement, etc.

As to the quaker thing mentioned in a couple of the posts. Diving in remote areas with tidal swings and currents, sometimes adverse meteorological conditions, and what not, I find it is better to be prepared rather than not, which is why I also carry a safety sausage.

Back in the 60s when I moved to Catalina and started diving in the ocean instead of freshwater, I bought the biggest, baddest, Jim Bowie of a knife that I could to ward off great whites. It worked great... didn't see a one while I wore it. However, some time after seeing "Jaws 2" I switched to a smaller knife, then to a BCD knife and finally to shears. I've seen more great whites since that switch so it has been great! I use the shears to cut fishing line and my sharp fangs to break kelp (if I need to)

I was trained in the good old days when bigger was better. I just never quite saw the point of strapping a machete to your leg.

I have a collection of knives, mainly cause I have a collection of scuba gear. My longest blade is about 3 inches, shortest was about an inch till that got lost.

I won't get in the water without at least two knifes on me.

Here was my big knife I used in the 80's, mostly for killing big fish after spearing them...A Scubapro.......When the Euro guys came up with the much smaller Stillettos, they worked much better, were much less drag and more comfortable to wear--so this has seen almost zero use since the late 90's.

On the other hand, as Mic would say, "This is a knife" :)
-03.jpg

spcr.gif

I'm a newbie diver, but I've always used a standard issue USN MK3 MOD 0 dive knife for snorkeling/free diving. I use a XS Scuba beta titanium for diving now, since it doesn't rust, and I don't have to coat it in Vaseline. I like it, and it's perfect for stabbing, cutting, sawing, or keeping a low profile during stealthy beach insertions. If it's good enough for military divers, it's good enough for me. :wink:

I carry a medium sized knife on my right thigh. Not a huge freaking one but it's certainly not small. I also carry a DIR style one on my waist strap on the other side.

I didn't know if I would like the big knife on the thigh but it's super comfortable and is the easiest to get to cutting device I have ever carried. Slide my hand down my side and it naturally comes to rest on the handle.

Different things work for different divers. Find what works for you and go with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom