Do you have a minimum viz or temp for a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

m3830431:
My worst dive was 1-foot vis at 15 feet. :D

Cut the viz in half, look at ChrisM like he's a mental patient for schlepping his Canon and strobes through the surf into this soup, add hundreds of squid bouncing off of you and you have my first Vets experience... "Claudette's Mighty Blind Squid Beating" dive...

Thank you squiddy, may I have another...

---
Ken

Jarrett:
But in Texas, in the muddy lakes, where bass, perch and catfish are mostly likely what you are going to see if you get lucky. What's the draw?

For myself:
1. if I dont get wet on a regular basis I start to fiend for it (addiction)
2. I like u/w photography, and murky waters are a challenge. Also, I might come up with something kind of abstract and that would be cool too. Looking for pictures is a big pull for me.
3. fry (baby fish) schooling, the monster cat I saw under the stairs at Windy Point, freshwater jelllyfish... I am still looking...., the I-am-in-the-aquarium feeling when you are surrounded by a hundred plus fish. Have you ever had an aquarium? I can watch them for hours.
4. underwater otter! me and my buddy will amuse ourselves with u/w sommersaults, handstands, hanging upside down, rolling over to stare at the waves...
5. vegetation. watching plants wave in the water is peaceful and relaxing.

To each their own, though.

RumBum:
For myself:
Have you ever had an aquarium? I can watch them for hours.

I do and I do watch it for hours. That's one of the big draws of scuba for me. Being in the water with the various life and being able to see them. I majored in Marine Biology for a while in college because I am so interested in things like that. Put me in Cozumel, Aquarena Springs, even CSSP on a really clear day and you'd have to make me come up. I can sit and watch the simplest aquatic life for hours.

But if the viz is 2 foot, I am not going to see them unless one races by my face. And that takes the whole allure away from me. I guess if we had decentt viz somewhere around here and it required getting in cold water, I would probably do it, but diving in a mud puddle holds nothing for me at this point.

I'm pulling together for a PADI Ice Diver course in March, if anyone of you "warmblooded" uw-critters should find your way up to Norway :D

Expected water temps? 33F in the surface..... Viz will be good though. Maybe 40-60 feet?

-Most important, imagine 12-15 bold "vikings" up at the local pub that same night! Pretty social thing we're having, you bet!

(Yes, you may click for a larger image)

I think my signature says it all. :D

Not much choice with quarry diving, you take what you can get.
Dove in as little as 3' vis, temps down to 49 degrees. But I do cut
if off at winter, if I'm going winter diving it is in southern waters,
not around here.

Jarrett:
I can sit and watch the simplest aquatic life for hours.

I'm fascinated by the slow movers too. Sea cucumbers, snails, stars, anemones, urchins, sponges, coral, you name it.

Diving with a couple buddies on a particularly good viz day, here I was, with mask three or four inches away from this tiny sea star on the bottom. Totally mesmirized, looking at its texture, size, its color same as the sand bottom, the symmetry of its body, tiny hair follicles methodically moving as if in a choreogaphed wave. The grains of sand around it. The movement of the water. My mind wandered about without purpose enthralled by the shear sense of the experience.

After satisfying their curiosity of the surrounding area, my buddies came to see what had me so mesmerized for such a long time. Coming in close for a good look, they looked and saw the tiny sea star. But, as much as they tried, they just could not see - what I was seeing. Oh well, time to move on.

I do prefer visibility beyond the tip of my outstreched hand, for safety and ease of staying with a buddy, because it may be necessary for what I want to see at the time - but not for lack things to see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom