Do you have either of these tank straps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone have a photo of the ScubaPro buckle? How does it compare to the Highland other than the length of the hook?

I'll take some photos for you tonight of the old scubapro, new scubapro, and trident. You already have the Highlands.

The new ScubaPro buckles are nice. They have an easier adjustment strap that wraps on the outside with velcro rather than the inside like the old ones. There's also a plastic piece that then slips over the end of the velcro strap from coming loose.

But what about this one from ScubaMax as I posted above?
Stainless Steel Cam Latch Tank Strap discounts on sale Scubamax
Looks a lot like the old style SP strap with adjustment strap wrapping to the inside.

The ScubaMax product has been working well for me. No corrosion noted after a year of mainly SW use.

Pete

I had the Highland cam latch bands and never had a problem unlatching them or them popping loose. I liked that they allowed my BPW to lay very flatter for packing. I don't find them to be really any more useful than the standard ones though.

I did get to play with an Apollo Bio Tank Lock and it was pretty nice but don't have any long term reports on the item.

Well I went to my LDS and asked how much for a new ScubaPro tank strap... he said normally about $49-$50... but I could give it to you for about $30. I didn't hesitate to order it! I guess it pays to be a good customer at your local shop.

Highland band hook modification images attached.

Layout.jpg shows the cut mark layout at 0.39". The red is a lacquer based layout fluid that really helps scribe marks show up.

Cut.jpg shows the hacksaw kerf started, note the strip of metal to protect the rest of the hook and webbing.

Before-After.jpg shows how much was cut off.

I hooked it up and plan to take the saw to the second one. What more can I say? As estimated, 3-4x more clearance over the bale than with approximately the same tension as before. I still plan to lay the bottle down most of the time though. Easier is better.

I did this mod the other day and it has make all the difference. Something I previously thought unusable is now a good piece of kit.

I made a deep score mark using a Dremel tool and cutoff wheel and two or three wiggles with a pair of pliers broke the extra tab material off. A little polishing with the Dremel and I was done.

I am glad it worked because one of the things I did like about the Highland bands was the very positive snap the buckle made when it cammed over. Securing the loose end is almost unrequired...but I'll still use the DSS rubber tuck in thingie. :D My next mod is to get rid of that pesky velcro.

I hate Velcro on dive gear too! I just bought a Whites Fusion drysuit and really have my work cut out for me getting rid of all the Velcro on that suit.

Hoo boy....good luck on that one...there is no shortage of that stuff on the Fusion. But a least the hook portion of the velcro is not exposed to snag on every little thing. I suspect in your business though the other half (loops) would get full of all kinds of gunk when you get into dirty water.

I've got these Highland bands and I never have a problem unlatching them. You have to fold the buckle all the way open, it also helps if the non buckle end is pulled through the backplate as far as it will go so that it doesn't flop around. This is how mine are which also puts the buckles round the side of the tank more instead of directly at the back where they are more likely to get caught on overheads.

If you can't get them apart by opening them this way then there is too much pre-tension - when I go to close the buckle the strap doesn't start to tension up until the buckle is perpendicular to the tank... its the last 90deg of closing that puts all the tension in the strap due to the high cam action.

The resulting tension of both bands is MORE than ample to hold a tank in place, I've never had one move a bit. The whole "tension the hell out of it and then a bit more" makes sense with single bands on a std BC maybe, since I have had one tank come loose on those.

Anyway... while I applaud the modding efforts on a perfectly good buckle and really don't see that it has any drawbacks... I really don't think its at all neccessary, for anyone interested in these bands, in order to get them to work.

I've got these Highland bands and I never have a problem unlatching them. You have to fold the buckle all the way open, it also helps if the non buckle end is pulled through the backplate as far as it will go so that it doesn't flop around. ...

I would not be surprised if there has been a manufacturing mod that lengthened the hook. How old are your bands?

Short hooks can be difficult to form in such heavy material without expensive production tooling. Hook length really [-]is[/-] was excessive on mine. I didn’t have that much trouble latching mine when laying the cylinder down, but the mod made it several times easier. I definitely would have continued using them unmodified had it not been for this thread.

On mine, the difference between snug and super tight is such a small distance that the difference in hooking was undetectable. However, the DSS tension pad probably sucked up the slack a lot more than without. It is interesting how small changes and technique can make the difference between useless crap and excellent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom