Do you log your dives on paper?

Do you log you dives on paper?

• Yes, I log my dives on paper.

Votes: 139 78.5%
  • No, I download my dives to my computer.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • Sometimes I log my dives on a paper log.

Votes: 7 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

serambin:
If you have a computer that downloads to PC, do you still write down your dives?

There is a missing option - I download my dives to my computer and then use it to print logbook pages.

Jackie

I log them on paper mainly so I can keep track of them, plus I haven't figured out my computer yet.

On paper then transfer to Suunto Dive Manager only because I refuse to travel with my laptop.

You're missing the option of "I don't log my dives at all." I've been diving for about 14 years now and haven't logged anything other than my first 4 open water dives while getting certified.

I frankly can't figure out what the value of a logbook is.

I do both because I haven't found a computer log that is worth a d**m and I plan to get an Instructor cert. some day. Most agencies will request copies of your logged dives to varify you have some experience. At least I know the ADC does for commercial diving records. Also my log pages are custom made by me and include memory joggers for site information, site sketch and stuff that is important to me like weight, equipment, water temp., etc., but not necessarily anybody else.

By the way Cathrine96821, OoooRaaa

I keep a paper logbook with notes about water temp, wetsuit configuration, vis, depth, interesting sightings, etc. I also download from my computer and attach it to the paper log.

I actually study the collected info to try to make myself a better diver. There's something to be learned from every dive.

Mountain Dog

TexasAg:
You're missing the option of "I don't log my dives at all." I've been diving for about 14 years now and haven't logged anything other than my first 4 open water dives while getting certified.

I frankly can't figure out what the value of a logbook is.

lol...such a Texan. me neither really, but my Suunto makes me feel legit.

If it is a tool for some people, then thats great. I cannot imagine looking back at that stuff (unless I was doing exploration/ tech) because I am always on to the "next thing"

I think there are many ADD personalities out here who don't log at all.

Then there are those who almost seem to want to be required to get them stamped and signed. My paranoid self lives in fear of having to do that to dive on vacation. It could become the industry standard, but until operators actually start asking for my cert card, I am not too worried.

Computers aren't so easy to replace if they get wet. And a power cord isn't required at the dive site for a pencil and paper. Also, unless you are carrying a PDA, Logs are much easier to tote around. :)

sitdown248:
I log them on paper mainly so I can keep track of them, plus I haven't figured out my computer yet.
You want to start tech diving but you apparently haven't read the manual for your dive computer yet?! :confused: :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom